The Education Forum

Question: Did LBJ cover up the assassination?

Hello,

My name is Lia Kelinsky, I'm a 17 year old American student at the International School of Toulouse, France.

My question is rather open ended. It's been argued that Lyndon B. Johnson justified his involvement with the assassination because he wanted to prevent a Third World War. However, to what extent does the evidence available suggest his involvement? Afterall, he is said to have destroyed most of the evidence that would have implicated him with the assassination.

Background details of the people answering this questions can be found at:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1169

Hello, Lia, and Zhenia, too,

I noticed that both of you are students at the International School in Toulouse and will be attending high school in the U.S. It isn't too often that one learns of young people being so interested in an event of forty years ago, long before you both were born. I think that is wonderful and meaningful.

If I may, I would like to make a suggestion of some reading matter that could give you a deeper understanding and perspective on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. I have been involved with the Kennedy assassination for almost forty-one years. If you would like to know why, please read the material written by Mr. John Simkin at:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKedisen.htm

The two books I recommend are both written by Dr. Donald Gibson, Professor of Sociology at the Greenburg campus of the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. His first book, Battling Wall Street is about the Kennedy presidency and its significance. The second is The Kennedy Assassination Cover-Up, which is about the assassination and its cover-up. His analysis of how the Warren Commission came into existence will help you understand that there were private, non-governmental individuals who influenced President Lyndon Johnson to form a commission in the first place. President Johnson originally opposed the formation of a commission, and favored the assassination to be investigated by Texas authorities and the FBI. In 1963 there was no federal law concerned with the killing of a president, so the investigation of the crime would legally have been relegated to the local jurisdiction where the crime was committed - Dallas, Texas.

Henry B. Gonzalez (deceased), U.S. House of Representatives for over thirty years, and first Chairman of the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA), had this to say when endorsing Battling Wall Street (and I quote in part):

..."The politics of President Kennedy are the principles of today.  Donald Gibson not only sets the historical record straight, but his work speaks volumes against today's burgeoning cynicism and in support of the vision, ideal, and practical reality embodied in Kennedy's presidency -- that every one of us can make a difference."

I hope for both of you courageous young women the best of bright futures.

Adele Edisen

All the postings here are very interesting. I think I can sum up Johnson's feelings of the JFK assassination with one picture.

In his great work, THE KILLING OF A PRESIDENT, Robert Groden has a picture of LBJ being sworn in on Air Force One at 2.38 PM Nov 22 1963.

He turns and winks to one of his comrades. (Yes comrades! Die hard reds take note!). He wanted the presidency and was not at all upset when the 35th president of the US was removed. If he wasnt involved (I believe he was), he definitely knew of the plans and wanted the assassination to occur.

Regards.