The Education Forum

Saturday Caucuses

Last night, I saw something on TV that I haven't seen in decades. Obama won every single caucus state. When he gave his speech at someone's dinner, the cheers and applause from the audience were overwhelming. I've not seen that type of reaction in many a year. So I think to myself, as I did when I voted in the Florida Primary, if I were to cast my ballot for Obama, I'd be voting for a dead man. I just can't believe the powers that be would ever let a black man become President.

Republican Huckabee ran well too last night. If the candidate, however, becomes McCain, I think it'll be bad for the Democrats, as he's considered liberal. Either the "families" will rig the election for McCain or something dreadful is going to happen. Obama is as beloved a politicians as President Kennedy and in '68 Bobby Kennedy. He has that type of charisma. It's a little scary. And he has Ted Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy and Oprah Winfrey behind him -- talk about charisma.

I'm leaning toward Hillary. A vote for Obama might be a vote for a dead man. I wouldn't want to ride in a small plane or helicopter with him. I wish him luck.

Kathy

Last night, I saw something on TV that I haven't seen in decades. Obama won every single caucus state. When he gave his speech at someone's dinner, the cheers and applause from the audience were overwhelming. I've not seen that type of reaction in many a year. So I think to myself, as I did when I voted in the Florida Primary, if I were to cast my ballot for Obama, I'd be voting for a dead man. I just can't believe the powers that be would ever let a black man become President.

Republican Huckabee ran well too last night. If the candidate, however, becomes McCain, I think it'll be bad for the Democrats, as he's considered liberal. Either the "families" will rig the election for McCain or something dreadful is going to happen. Obama is as beloved a politicians as President Kennedy and in '68 Bobby Kennedy. He has that type of charisma. It's a little scary. And he has Ted Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy and Oprah Winfrey behind him -- talk about charisma.

I'm leaning toward Hillary. A vote for Obama might be a vote for a dead man. I wouldn't want to ride in a small plane or helicopter with him. I wish him luck.

Kathy

Oh yeah? Well, get a load of this twisted turn of events. When I went to vote last Tuesday, I was directed to the American Independent booth, and told I was no longer allowed to vote across party lines. I ended up voting for Cynthia McKinney. On every place her name appeared, I poked a hole. But, when it came to the presidential candidates being offered up by the A.I., I passed. Why? Because I know nothing about them, was poised to vote for Ron Paul, and had never run up against this kind of opposition in the 22 years I've been voting as an American Independent. What is this? The USSR? I'm pissed as all get out! The American System has been bastardized, and skewed to the Right Of Center, aka Conservative Neo-Con Fascism. To hell with all of them!

Kathy

Oh yeah? Well, get a load of this twisted turn of events. When I went to vote last Tuesday, I was directed to the American Independent booth, and told I was no longer allowed to vote across party lines. I ended up voting for Cynthia McKinney. On every place her name appeared, I poked a hole. But, when it came to the presidential candidates being offered up by the A.I., I passed. Why? Because I know nothing about them, was poised to vote for Ron Paul, and had never run up against this kind of opposition in the 22 years I've been voting as an American Independent. What is this? The USSR? I'm pissed as all get out! The American System has been bastardized, and skewed to the Right Of Center, aka Conservative Neo-Con Fascism. To hell with all of them!

Especially being in Florida, I don't know if any of our votes count. Now we don't even have delegates down here, especially after the mishap of the 2000 Florida election "chads."

Maybe the govt won't kill B.O. Maybe they're more sophisticated now. Just rig the votes!

Kathy

[quote name='Kathleen Collins' date='Feb 10 2008, 03:30 PM' post='136588']

I've not seen that type of reaction in many a year. So I think to myself, as I did when I voted in the Florida Primary, if I were to cast my ballot for Obama, I'd be voting for a dead man. I just can't believe the powers that be would ever let a black man become President.

I agree that Obama's run is scary, and it is making me uncomfortable too. I saw Bobby Kennedy in San Francisco a few days before he was killed, and was so traumatized by it that I have refused to become involved in a campaign since then. Until now -- after the Kennedys endorsement of Obama I decided not to think of him as a lightweight, but to research his positions. I was among over 20K who saw him in Minneapolis last Saturday. The Target Center was not only full, but the floor was full of standing people as well. We stood in the cold for 2 hours waiting for the doors to open. Obama spoke for an hour, and outlined his agendas on many fronts. I had wished for more detail, but am finding some of that online.

Then Tuesday, I went to caucus in Eden Prairie, where I live. I got there 1/2 hour early, and parking at the High School was already impossible -- I parked next to a yellow curb (not good) along with hundreds of others. It was pure mayhem at the school, which is quite spacious. Security was absent, even though there were student sports events going on as well as both parties' caucuses. When I left, it was impossible to make a left turn to get back to the main road. When I finally got to it, Hwy 5, going toward the school, was a sea of lights. Traffic was gridlocked for nearly a mile in all directions. Obama won Minnesota by a hefty percentage.

And now Obama has swept these latest primaries. Can he be permitted to succeed?