The Education Forum

Barack Obama or John McCain

John Simkin

Craig, Len, Ray, what do you make of Michael Hudson's attack on the economic policies of Obama and McCain?

I'm afraid this financial crisis is too scary for me to even think about. I just hope that greater minds than mine will figure out the best way forward.

Maybe Craig has the solution.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig, Len, Ray, what do you make of Michael Hudson's attack on the economic policies of Obama and McCain?

Like Raymond I’ll plead ‘ignorance’ I don’t think I’m sufficiently well versed in the finer points of finance and economics to come to a informed conclusion. I think no matter what your ideology the bailout stinks, but as to whether it was a necessary evil that stemmed further economic collapse or a scam to funnel billions of taxpayer dollars to “kleptocrats” or something in between I couldn’t say. They claim that like the Chrysler bailout this could earn the taxpayer a profit or break even at worst, I have my doubts but once again I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Even if one assumes the worst about the bailout this might not indicate Obama (or even McCain) is in the pocket of financiers, economists are divided and he might honestly believe it was in the nation’s best interest. In any case opposing the bailout would have been probable political suicide for either candidate. The economy was going to take a down turn anyway if one of the candidates stopped it or tried to stop it the other could say ‘if only my opponent had backed the bailout, we’d be in much better shape right now’.

According to the latest poll data from RCP Obama only needs to win the states where his lead is on average 8% or greater.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/ma...bama_vs_mccain/

2000, 20004, 2008 - redux

WV Voting Machines Switch Votes from Obama to McCain

Early voting in the presidential election has already begun in many states, and problems are already emerging at the polls. In West Virginia, voters in at least two counties using touchscreen voting machines have claimed their votes were switched from Democrat to Republican. Six voters reported having this problem in Jackson and Putnam Counties. In both counties, Republicans are responsible for overseeing elections. One voter, a retired nurse named Shelba Ketchum, said, "I hit Obama, and it switched to McCain. I am really concerned about that. If McCain wins, there was something wrong with the machines.” Election officials blamed voters for not being more careful. Both counties use machines made by Election Systems & Software.

I doubt the GOP would steal votes in WV, McCain is expected to carry the state. I also doubt if it were fraud that the voting machine would indicate it was registering a vote for McCain. I don't discount there might be secret fixing in states Obama is expected to carry.

Republicans and Conservatives Endorsing Barack

Fri, 10/17/2008 - 12:45am — John Martin

As we wait for Powell (and Hagel?), here's a recap of some of the biggest Republicans, Republicans-turned-independents, and conservatives who have come out to support Barack for President.

If you know of any I've missed, please add them.

Elected Officials:

Jim Leach, Former Congressman from Iowa

"For me, the national interest comes before party concerns, particularly internationally. We do need a new direction in American policy, and Obama has a sense of that."

Lincoln Chafee, Former United States Senator from Rhode Island

"As I look at the candidates in order who to vote for, certainly my kind of conservatism was reflected with Senator Obama, and those points are that we're fiscally conservative, we care about revenues matching expenditures, we also care about the environment, I think it's a traditional conservative value to care about clean air and clean water."

Richard Riordan, Former Mayor of Los Angeles

"I'm still a Republican, but I still will always vote for the person who I think will do the best job."

Lowell Weicker, Former Governor and Senator from Connecticut

"At issue is not the partisan politics of two parties, rather the image we ha ve of ourselves as Americans. Senator Obama brings wisdom, kindness, and common sense to what is both his and our quest for a better America."

Jim Whitaker, Fairbanks, Alaska Mayor

"If we are as a nation concerned with energy, then our consideration should be a national energy policy that is not predicated on crude oil 50 years into the future. We need to get to it, and I think Barack Obama is very clear in that regard."

Linwood Holton, Former Governor of Virginia

"Obama has a brain, and he isn't afraid to use it."

Government Officials:

Colin Powell, Secretary of State under Bush 43

"...he has met the standard of being a sucessful president, being an exceptional president. I think he is a transformational figure. He is a new generation coming into the world-- onto the world state, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama."

Douglas Kmiec, Head of the Office of Legal Counsel under Reagan & Bush 41

"I was first attracted to government by Ronald Reagan, who lives in our national memory as a great leader and an inspiring communicator. Senator Obama has these gifts as well, but of course, more rhetorical flourish without substance would be worth little. Is there more to Senator Obama? I believe there is."

Jackson M. Andrews, Republican Counsel to the U.S. Senate

"Barack Obama is a thoughtful visionary leader who as President will end the decline of American law, liberty, and fiscal responsibility that are the hallmarks of the extremist policies of the current Administration, now adopted by John McCain."

Susan Eisenhower, Granddaughter of President Eisenhower & President of the Eisenhower Group

"Given Obama's support among young people, I believe that he will be most invested in defending the interests of these rising generations and, therefore, the long-term interests of this nation as a whole."

Francis Fukuyama, Advisor to President Reagan

"...Obama probably has the greatest promise of delivering a different kind of politics."

Rita Hauser, Former White House intelligence advisor under George W. Bush

"McCain will continue the wrong-headed foreign policy decisions of Bush, while Obama will take us in a new direction."

Larry Hunter, Former President Reagan Policy Advisor

"I suspect Obama is more free-market friendly than he lets on. He taught at the University of Chicago, a hotbed of right-of-center thought. His economic advisers, notably Austan Goolsbee, recognize that ordinary citizens stand to gain more from open markets than from government meddling."

Bill Ruckelshaus, served in the Nixon and Reagan administrations

"I'm not against McCain, I'm for Obama."

Lilibet Hagel, Wife of Republican Senator Chuck Hagel

"This election is not about fighting phantom issues churned out by a top-notch slander machine. Most important, it is not about distracting the public-- you and me-- with whatever slurs someone thinks will stick."

http://www.republicansforobama.org/?q=node/3341

According to a recent Pew Research Center poll, Obama has less support among Democrats and independents than John Kerry had four years ago. But Kerry trailed Bush by two points at this point in the 2004 campaign. Obama leads John McCain by eight points today partly because of his significantly higher support among Republicans
Raised by a single mother and his grandparents, he nonetheless became successful through hard work and a good education. Republicans respect that story. It's a Republican story.
"Reagan Democrats" were once the swing voters who decided presidential elections. In 2008, it may be "Obama Republicans
."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/200...like_Obama.html

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

The fact that leading members of the so-called "opposition" party support Obama proves what I've been saying; there are no significant differences between the only two political parties we have to "choose" from.

I was listening to a speech Obama gave a few days ago, and was struck by two things; what a magnificant communicator he is, and how broad and rhetorical his words were. I also was repulsed by the crowd when they started to chant "USA! USA!" in the background. That's a sure fire sign to me, anyhow, that the speaker is catering to the mob's ugliest impulses. Obama's words are wonderful, and when he speaks broadly about an America where all people must come together, "resolve their differences," it is moving. However, it also is meaningless. Neither Obama nor any other politician can make people "come together." I also hate it when politicians speak glowingily of "the American people," and Obama does this just as much as McCainiac or any other leading politician. He also stressed that "we all must sacrifice." Yeah, I've heard that many times before. We need a Huey Long to bluntly point out just who is truly capable of doing the sacrificing.

I also caught a bit of a third party candidates debate on CSPAN. What a refreshing thing it was to hear important issues actually discussed. Ralph Nader was absolutely brilliant, when he pointed out that both major candidates are in total agreement on all important issues. The "war on terror" for instance, is not likely to end anytime soon under President Obama. Someone needs to point out that, in any war, one must have an identifiable enemy. The "terrorists" we are supposedly fighting are not readily identifiable, and anyone named Muhammed or Nasser is deemed suspect.

We have already been sold down the river once again, with the odious bank bailout, which will have repercussions for decades to come. Obama and McCainiac both supported it. I don't know how I'm going to vote right now- what a "choice."

I don't know didley about the ins and outs of the US political system, but if Obama loses the elections I'll be in the group that is calling fraud.

Why?

I agree with Evan. The public opinion polls show an easy victory for Obama. If McCain wins the world will believe that the Republicans have stolen the election. People in Europe found it difficult to believe the American people elected Bush in 2000 and 2004 and many suspect that the Republicans got up to their dirty tricks in those states they control.

It is not just people in Europe John,

The Election is being followed very closely here in China and they (the people with whom I have personally spoken) are under the same impression - anything bar an Obama win would be viewed highly suspicious.

To quote a friend of mine "If Obama loses this election, how can the USA preach to other countries about democracy?"

Steve

I don't know didley about the ins and outs of the US political system, but if Obama loses the elections I'll be in the group that is calling fraud.

Why?

I agree with Evan. The public opinion polls show an easy victory for Obama. If McCain wins the world will believe that the Republicans have stolen the election. People in Europe found it difficult to believe the American people elected Bush in 2000 and 2004 and many suspect that the Republicans got up to their dirty tricks in those states they control.

Why?

You are drinking the media koolaid John. How can you trust a poll that oversamples dems 6,10, even 15% percent higher that Reps. Here is simply NO rational basis for it, nor is there any empirical or historical data to back it.

The Election is being followed very closely here in China and they (the people with whom I have personally spoken) are under the same impression - anything bar an Obama win would be viewed highly suspicious.

To quote a friend of mine "If Obama loses this election, how can the USA preach to other countries about democracy?"

Steve

Did it ever occur to you or your friend that the people of America just might not WANT Obama and his policies to be our president. It appears you too are drinking the media koolaid. A McCain win would be a PERFECT example of the power democracy. The MEDIA is telling you WHO THEY want for president. At the voting booth AMERCICAN VOTERS will tell the world who THEY prefer.

I'm amazed to see so called "critical thinkers" doing anything but....

Why?

Brilliant speech on how the 2004 [and other] elections were stolen and how the machinery to do so is still very much unchanged.

http://www.kpfa.org/archives/index.php?arch=29027

Without spending the time to listen to what might be more drool from Lemkin, perhaps he call tell us if THIS story contains OUTRIGHT lies like the ones told in the last TWO stories on the subject he posted. IE: RFK Jr. telling outright LIES about the Indiana voting rules, and the LIES about ACORN in the second story. Research is your friend Lemkin, IF and thats a really big if for you, the TRUTH is your goal.....

The fact that leading members of the so-called "opposition" party support Obama proves what I've been saying; there are no significant differences between the only two political parties we have to "choose" from.

I was listening to a speech Obama gave a few days ago, and was struck by two things; what a magnificant communicator he is, and how broad and rhetorical his words were. I also was repulsed by the crowd when they started to chant "USA! USA!" in the background. That's a sure fire sign to me, anyhow, that the speaker is catering to the mob's ugliest impulses. Obama's words are wonderful, and when he speaks broadly about an America where all people must come together, "resolve their differences," it is moving. However, it also is meaningless. Neither Obama nor any other politician can make people "come together." I also hate it when politicians speak glowingily of "the American people," and Obama does this just as much as McCainiac or any other leading politician. He also stressed that "we all must sacrifice." Yeah, I've heard that many times before. We need a Huey Long to bluntly point out just who is truly capable of doing the sacrificing.

I also caught a bit of a third party candidates debate on CSPAN. What a refreshing thing it was to hear important issues actually discussed. Ralph Nader was absolutely brilliant, when he pointed out that both major candidates are in total agreement on all important issues. The "war on terror" for instance, is not likely to end anytime soon under President Obama. Someone needs to point out that, in any war, one must have an identifiable enemy. The "terrorists" we are supposedly fighting are not readily identifiable, and anyone named Muhammed or Nasser is deemed suspect.

We have already been sold down the river once again, with the odious bank bailout, which will have repercussions for decades to come. Obama and McCainiac both supported it. I don't know how I'm going to vote right now- what a "choice."

The crop of alternate candidates is even worse. Like many progressives I lost respect for Nader in 2000, he was one of the reasons Bush got elected, lost even more in 2004 and now consider him a bad joke. McKinney is IMO a nut and Barr is too far to the right.

Though not perfect Obama is the best option.

Steve

Did it ever occur to you or your friend that the people of America just might not WANT Obama and his policies to be our president. It appears you too are drinking the media koolaid. A McCain win would be a PERFECT example of the power democracy. The MEDIA is telling you WHO THEY want for president. At the voting booth AMERCICAN VOTERS will tell the world who THEY prefer.

I'm amazed to see so called "critical thinkers" doing anything but....

"Did it ever occur to you or your friend that the people of America just might not WANT Obama and his policies to be our president."

Every poll taken in the last few weeks says they do. Is Evan a "koolaid drinker" as well for recognizing the obvious?