The Education Forum

Vanity Fair Postscript to "The Man Who Would Be Jack"

The Man Who Would Be Jack

A Claim to Camelot

Postscript June 2008

Vanity Fair Magazine

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2008/06/postscript200806

On the heels of our April story on Jack Worthington—the Canada-based banker who believes he could be the illegitimate son of John F. Kennedy (“A Claim to Camelot”)—four readers have approached Vanity Fair to disclose that they harbor similar suspicions about themselves.

Deborah of Riverside County, California, insists she’s the product of an affair her mother had with J.F.K. in the early 60s. Cindy of Wisconsin believes that both she and her sister are daughters of the slain president. “My sister’s the spitting image of Caroline,” she says. “My mother knew his brother Joseph. [i know that JFK director] Oliver Stone purchased a diaper from Caroline years ago. He has Kennedy DNA.” Dianne of Boston says, “Worthington and I have the same biological father,” and Shirley of Florida e-mailed in broken English, “I am John Kennedy daughter by a first marriage.… O by the way, [J.F.K.] picked astronauts by their name which was my mama name Kennedy, Shepard, Cooper and Young and I will do DNA today.” (J.F.K. has long been rumored to have legally married a woman named Durie Malcom, in 1947.)

Farther afield, Jennifer of Fresno contends that Joseph Kennedy and Greta Garbo sired her grandfather. And a woman from Belgium says in an e-mail that as “the ex-lover of John-John” she has long thought her son may be J.F.K.’s grandchild.

Inspired by Vanity Fair’s article, a New Yorker named William Kennedy sent what he purports to be the president’s 1954 last will and testament, arguing that by law Worthington may be able to compel the Kennedy family to produce DNA in order to determine if he is, in fact, a blood relative. In a similar vein, the son of a deceased attorney for one of J.F.K.’s alleged lovers says he has access to sealed court documents that may help prove that the president had a child with a woman referred to as “Alicia” in Seymour Hersh’s 1997 book, The Dark Side of Camelot.

Strangest of all is the claim by Texas P.R. man Farris Rookstool III, who asserts that not only did he spend years as an F.B.I. expert examining the J.F.K.-assassination files (which turns out to be true) but, quite coincidentally, he also dated Worthington’s sister Nancy in the 1990s (which she confirms).

All of which is a way of saying that for the time being we’re Kennedy Conspiracy’d out, thank you.

Read “A Claim to Camelot,” by David Friend.