The Education Forum

LIHOP. The Falklands conflict and black opps

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

In early 1981 the Thatcher project was dead in the water, opinion polls showed that she was the most disliked/distrusted PM for over a hundred years, the Trade Unions were ramping up for a major offensive, inflation was running well above double figures, and unemployment stood close to three million........................................Then came the Falklands conflict, and everything changed....for ever.

The three main signs that they LIHOP.

1, The removal of a British Naval presence from the Islands.

2, The sinking of the Belgrano, whilst outside the exclusion zone, and sailing AWAY from British boats.

3, The sabotaging of peace conferences, and the refusal to enter into direct talks with the Argentinian Junta.

Off the back of this "conflict" came a further 16 years of attacks on the British working class, the destrution of our manufacturing base, the coarsening of Civil society, the entrenchment of the ruling class, the liberalisation of trade, an end to any meaningful regulation of the stock market, the emasculation of the trade union movement, and a legacy that lead directly to Blair and the Iraq war.

My first impression is that they (the British) were actually caught off-guard, but I'd have to check. As you may know, the Falklands War caused the cancellation of the sale of HMS INVINCIBLE to Australia, and thus the demise of the RAN's fixed-wing element of the Fleet Air Arm.

Let me check sources and I'll decide if I agree or disagree with you.

Guest Stephen Turner
My first impression is that they (the British) were actually caught off-guard, but I'd have to check. As you may know, the Falklands War caused the cancellation of the sale of HMS INVINCIBLE to Australia, and thus the demise of the RAN's fixed-wing element of the Fleet Air Arm.

Let me check sources and I'll decide if I agree or disagree with you.

Please let me know what you come up with. Everybodies first impression was that we were caught with our metaphorical pants down, but certain evidence suggests that this was not, in fact, the case, and that certain actions, and inactions by the Thatcher Admin made the Junta believe that we would not act to preserve our sovereignty over the Falklands Islands. i will present this evidence for debate later. Steve.

Not necessarily related with the causes of the Falklands, the war itself taught (the Navy at least) many lessons about combat survivability.

For instance, the foam mattresses that were fitted to bunks (mass produced, saved a lot of money) were proved top be death traps. They burnt and produced noxious gases.

That, of course, can be seen as a reason FOR the War - operational testing of latest improvements.

I'm off to Perth for a week on leave, then I'll be back. My sister (where I'll be staying) doesn't have internet, so I expect to not be able to reply for a week or so. Please excuse the tardiness in replying...