The Education Forum

The Assassination of JFK, RFK, MLK and the election of Barack Obama

John Simkin

Yes there's always the unexpected, but some courses of action can be more ossified than at earlier stages in history.

It is uncommon for the US to elect an anti-war president in a time of war, and Obama's claim to fame in this campaign -- what marked him as a man apart -- was his opposition to the Iraq war. I am sure he would tell you himself that this was the biggest single reason why THE PEOPLE chose him, so I fully expect an early disengagement from Iraq. The first rule of holes; when you are in one, stop digging.

I hope he finds a way to make a quick exit from Afghanistan too, if wants his presidency to be considered a foreign-policy success. His supporters also have a right to expect him to work towards a more peaceful world in general, which would involve a less militaristic USA.

He promised to give priority to preventing the spread of nuclear weapons, and I expect him to make a quick start on this focusing initially on small portable weapons. This area will involve cooperation with the Russians. Obama is in a position to make concessions to Russia over Star Wars, since he opposed it, so I would be optimistic about an early detante, which might enable the US to significantly reduce military spending without losing face.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there's always the unexpected, but some courses of action can be more ossified than at earlier stages in history.

It is uncommon for the US to elect an anti-war president in a time of war, and Obama's claim to fame in this campaign -- what marked him as a man apart -- was his opposition to the Iraq war. I am sure he would tell you himself that this was the biggest single reason why THE PEOPLE chose him, so I fully expect an early disengagement from Iraq. The first rule of holes; when you are in one, stop digging.

I hope he finds a way to make a quick exit from Afghanistan too, if wants his presidency to be considered a foreign-policy success. His supporters also have a right to expect him to work towards a more peaceful world in general, which would involve a less militaristic USA.

He promised to give priority to preventing the spread of nuclear weapons, and I expect him to make a quick start on this focusing initially on small portable weapons. This area will involve cooperation with the Russians. Obama is in a position to make concessions to Russia over Star Wars, since he opposed it, so I would be optimistic about an early detante, which might enable the US to significantly reduce military spending without losing face.

There seems to be a combination of reasons why Obama won the election. This of course includes his initially opposition to the Iraq War. However, the polls suggest the economy and the sheer incompetence of George Bush were more important factors.

It is interesting to predict what kind of president Obama will become. In fact, he is in a very strong position. But so was Tony Blair, who won an overwhelming victory in 1997. Like Obama, the main opposition party had won only their heartlands. The moderates (the largest group in British politics) had voted overwhelmingly for Labour. The Conservatives immediately moved to the right and abandoned the centre-ground leaving Blair free to rule as he wanted.

However, it soon became clear that he was under the control of the wealthy ruling elite. Evidence for this can be found here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6382

Blair was also under the control of the intelligence agencies (including the CIA) and blindly followed Bush’s foreign policy. This was extremely unpopular and was the main reason he was forced from power. The reason he was able to win the next two general elections was because the Conservatives refused to move from their right-wing stance. This has all changed and that is why David Cameron and the Conservative Party are clear favourites to win the next election.

Barack Obama is clearly in a strong position. However, is he his own man or is he like Tony Blair, under the control of his wealthy and influential backers?

I expect Obama to keep his promise and withdraw from Iraq. But what will he do in Afghanistan? He has promised increased involvement in a country that is impossible to tame. Will this be his Vietnam War?

On the domestic front he should be judged on how he deals with the economic crisis. Will he continue to take measures that protect the irresponsible bankers? He has to choose between the needs of the people or the demands of the ruling elite. I hope he selects the former but fear that he will do what virtually every other president has done in the past.

There seems to be a combination of reasons why Obama won the election. This of course includes his initially opposition to the Iraq War. However, the polls suggest the economy and the sheer incompetence of George Bush were more important factors.

These factors would explain why a Democrat won, but neither the economy nor and the incompetence of Bush can explain how an obscure first-term senator overcame the powerful forces supporting Hilary Clinton to become the Democratic nominee.