The Education Forum

Graham Davies

Graham Davies

I began my career as a teacher of German and French in secondary education in the 1960s, moving into higher education in 1971. I have been involved in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) since 1976. In 1982 I wrote one of the first introductory books on computers in language learning and teaching, which was followed by numerous other printed and software publications right up to the present day. My work in CALL was recognised in 1989 by the Academic Board of Ealing College of Higher Education (later to become part of Thames Valley University) when I was conferred with the title of Professor of CALL – the first chair in this subject area in the UK. I retired from full-time university teaching in 1993 but I continued to work as a Visiting Professor for Thames Valley University until 2001. I was the Founder President of EUROCALL, holding the post from 1993 to 2000. I am a partner in Camsoft, a CALL software development and consultancy business, which was founded in 1982. I have lectured and run ICT training courses for language teachers in 22 different countries and I sit on a number of national and international advisory boards and committees. I have been actively involved in WorldCALL since 1998 and I currently head a working party that is in the process of setting up WorldCALL as an official organisation that aims to assist countries that are currently underserved in the area of ICT and the teaching and learning of modern foreign languages. I am fluent in German, I speak tolerable French, and I can survive in Italian, Russian and Hungarian: http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/cvgd.htm