The Education Forum

100,000 civilians executed by South Korea during the war, and the US seemingly approved.

Len Colby

I said "seemingly" because it isn’t clear that US gov’t officials were aware of the scope of the slaughter but they witnessed and approved part of it.

Children 'executed' in 1950 South Korean killings

By CHARLES J. HANLEY and JAE-SOON CHANG, Associated Press Writers Charles J. Hanley And Jae-soon Chang, Associated Press Writers – Sat Dec 6, 6:18 pm ET

SEOUL, South Korea – Government investigators digging into the grim hidden history of mass political executions in South Korea have confirmed that dozens of children were among many thousands shot by their own government early in the Korean War.

The investigative Truth and Reconciliation Commission has thus far verified more than two dozen mass killings of leftists and supposed sympathizers, among
at least 100,000 people estimated to have been hastily shot
and dumped into makeshift trenches, abandoned mines or the sea after communist North Korea invaded the south in June 1950.

[…]

Declassified records show U.S. officers were present at one killing field and that at least one U.S. officer sanctioned another mass political execution if prisoners otherwise would be freed by the North Koreans. Uncounted hundreds were subsequently killed, witnesses reported.

[…]

Some mass killings were carried out before the war;
many came in the first weeks after the June 25, 1950, invasion, and others occurred later in 1950 when U.S. and South Korean forces recaptured Seoul and the southerners rounded up and shot alleged northern collaborators.

[…]

The AP has reported that declassified U.S. military documents show
U.S. Army officers took photos of the assembly line-style executions outside the central city of Daejeon, where the commission believes between 3,000 and 7,000 people were shot and dumped into mass graves in early July 1950.

Other once-secret files show that
a U.S. Army lieutenant colonel reported giving approval to the killing of 3,500 political prisoners
by a South Korean army unit he was advising in Busan, if the North Koreans approached that southern port city, formerly spelled Pusan.

The
files show the U.S. command was aware in other ways as well of the organized bloodbaths

[…]

Although at the time U.S. diplomats reported confidentially they had urged restraint on the South Koreans,
there was no sign the U.S. military, with formal command over the southerners, tried to halt the mass executions.

[…]

South Korea's population was about 20 million at the time*, in proportional numbers this would be as if over 1.5 million Americans were summarily executed.

* http://www.populstat.info/Asia/skoreac.htm

Guest Stephen Turner
What the hell's your problem Peter? How did I serve the "powers that be" by posting this?

To be honest, I was wondering exactly the same thing. Any chance of an explanation Peter?

What the hell's your problem Peter? How did I serve the "powers that be" by posting this?

To be honest, I was wondering exactly the same thing. Any chance of an explanation Peter?

Had me scratching my head too.

Pavlovian reaction?

I can explain it for you.

Here we have a variation on the limited hang-out model, one being used in this instance to support a legend.

The sad thing is that Peter and you probably really believe the paranoid drool you’re spouting. Hopefully your health plans cover consultations with mental health professionals.

The problem with your theory is that the Korean truth commission has been looking into this for over 2 1/2 years so this isn’t exactly ‘new’ news. So what’s the more serious story I’m trying to cover up?

It actually does get worse apparently US forces intentionally killed hundreds of civilians from a single village because it was suspected that some might be disguised North Korean soldiers and this was only one of hundreds of similar incidents. This isn’t really news either since it was reported in a 2006 book.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25999745/

As for my 'legend' people far to my left (Chomsy, Cockburn, Said, Churchill, Goodman etc) reject the same idiotic theories I do. There is nothing incongruous between being left of center and be skeptical of baseless conspiracy theories promoted my crackpots. I could be the right of Craig Lamson, that shouldn't effect the way readers evaluate the evidence I present.

I really have no interest in further engaging Peter or you in this thread unless you want to discuss the US’s involvement in civilian massacres in Korea or related topics

The "Len Colby" legend (an intelligence-related term of art with which you all should be familiar) is enhanced by making "him" appear to go against type by exposing perfidy committed by the power structures "he" commonly and disingenuously defends.

This is the equivalent of a double agent offering accurate but ultimately insignificant intel product to the target entity in order to demonstrate or enhance his bona fides.

Get it?

The "Len Colby" legend (an intelligence-related term of art with which you all should be familiar) is enhanced by making "him" appear to go against type by exposing perfidy committed by the power structures "he" commonly and disingenuously defends.

This is the equivalent of a double agent offering accurate but ultimately insignificant intel product to the target entity in order to demonstrate or enhance his bona fides.

Get it?

http://accg.net/delusional_paranoid_disorder.htm