The Education Forum

The relative height of the seats in the car

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did try to search for the information but could not find it.

Does anyone know the difference in height between the base of the seat that JFK was sitting on and the base of the jump seat that Connally was sitting on.

It looks to me, from one of the garage photos, that the difference is close to one foot.

Also, does anyone have a good resolution copy of the diagram of the car. I have copies of the diagram, but they are all low resolution copies.

Thanks.

James.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did try to search for the information but could not find it.

Does anyone know the difference in height between the base of the seat that JFK was sitting on and the base of the jump seat that Connally was sitting on.

It looks to me, from one of the garage photos, that the difference is close to one foot.

Also, does anyone have a good resolution copy of the diagram of the car. I have copies of the diagram, but they are all low resolution copies.

Thanks.

James.

From the WC testimony of Thomas Kelley:

Mr. SPECTER. And what is the relative height of the jump seat and the rear seat?

Mr. KELLEY. The jump seat is 3 inches lower than the back seat in its bottom position. That is, the back seat of the President's car had a mechanism which would raise it 10 1/2 inches. But at the time of the assassination, the seat was in its lowest position.

Here's the schematic used by the HSCA: Exhibit II-19

Thanks.

James.

From the WC testimony of Thomas Kelley:

Mr. SPECTER. And what is the relative height of the jump seat and the rear seat?

Mr. KELLEY. The jump seat is 3 inches lower than the back seat in its bottom position. That is, the back seat of the President's car had a mechanism which would raise it 10 1/2 inches. But at the time of the assassination, the seat was in its lowest position.

Here's the schematic used by the HSCA: Exhibit II-19

Thanks Pat,

That was the information I wanted. Thanks for the diagram, it is much better than the one I have.

Looking at the image of the seats from a garage photo the difference seemed much larger. It must be an optical illusion.

Thanks.

James.