The Education Forum

Mary E. Bledsoe - Oswald's Former Landlady

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with information (Work Records, Where she lived (prior/after 1963), Photos, Birth/Death certificates etc) on Mary E. Bledsoe - Oswald's Former Landlady and WC witness.

Thanks - Steve

Steve,

From Mary's testimony, she was born ina a town "about 12 miles from Corsicanna, Tex" where her father had a maedical practice. She had one sibling - an older brother.

Married at 17, had 2 kids and divorved in 1925. Stated she moved around a lot during the period she was married.

The SS Death Index shows she was born July 11, 1896 and died March 15, 1969.

This curious exchange in her testimony happens just after she gives a little of her background, including that she was divorcee:

Mr. Ball.

Your occupation has been that of a housewife?

Mrs. Bledsoe.

Yes. Well, I had rented rooms, but I had some money my father had given me. I had some money from him.

So had she been in a de facto relationship? If so, did she have extra income all those years from her father and from boarders?

Although she says she started renting rooms againfrom September, the impression I get is that she had not rented rooms prior - or if she had, it had been a long time since she had.

I also like this exchange. It seems landladies all over Dallas had trouble with the name "Oswald" (recall that Oswald had claimed that he had not intended tom use the alias of OH Lee - it was the landlady at N Beckley who had trouble with real name...)

Mrs. BLEDSOE. Uh-huh. And he said his name was Lee Oswald was what his name was, and I said, "Well, I can't think of that name Oswald, I will call you Lee."

Thanks Greg,

I have her testimony and have gone through that noting many mistakes and curious timely mentions to money (which seemed to be a big concern of hers). There’s no question that she seems to be a somewhat strange character and that’s why I wanted to find out more about her, but I could not find anything?

No Birth or Death certificates, no previous employment records, no information or accounts about her from persons who may have knew her before Nov. 1963.

Now I am still new to research and it can be a time consuming struggle for me that doesn’t always yield any results, so hence I thought it would be a good idea to ask here – not a great response as of yet but I am still hopeful.

Thanks for your input Greg, I appreciate it.

Steve

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with information (Work Records, Where she lived (prior/after 1963), Photos, Birth/Death certificates etc) on Mary E. Bledsoe - Oswald's Former Landlady and WC witness.

Thanks - Steve

Steve,

From Mary's testimony, she was born ina a town "about 12 miles from Corsicanna, Tex" where her father had a maedical practice. She had one sibling - an older brother.

Married at 17, had 2 kids and divorved in 1925. Stated she moved around a lot during the period she was married.

The SS Death Index shows she was born July 11, 1896 and died March 15, 1969.

This curious exchange in her testimony happens just after she gives a little of her background, including that she was divorcee:

Mr. Ball.

Your occupation has been that of a housewife?

Mrs. Bledsoe.

Yes. Well, I had rented rooms, but I had some money my father had given me. I had some money from him.

So had she been in a de facto relationship? If so, did she have extra income all those years from her father and from boarders?

Although she says she started renting rooms againfrom September, the impression I get is that she had not rented rooms prior - or if she had, it had been a long time since she had.

I also like this exchange. It seems landladies all over Dallas had trouble with the name "Oswald" (recall that Oswald had claimed that he had not intended tom use the alias of OH Lee - it was the landlady at N Beckley who had trouble with real name...)

Mrs. BLEDSOE. Uh-huh. And he said his name was Lee Oswald was what his name was, and I said, "Well, I can't think of that name Oswald, I will call you Lee."

Edited by Steve Mcdonagh

Steve,

In trying to answer one of your questions, but with a guess only, I'd say Mary never had to have the the title of "employee" in her life.

------------------------

It was all happening in Sept '63.

Mary decides to rent rooms.

The decision is made to have a Dallas motorcade.

The TSBD decides it needs new flooring on 5 and 6.

Buel Frazier lands at his sister's house.

Oswald or an impersonator (I favor the latter) travels to Mexico City.

-------------------------

Here is an old thread from James Richards which you should find helpful:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...amp;#entry96264