The Education Forum

Waco, Texas, massacre

John Wilson

I am surprised to find no debate already running about the bungled siege by the AFT in February 1993 at the Branch Davidian ranch at Waco, Texas, of a cult led by David Koresh.

In May 92 Chief Deputy Daniel Weyenberg of the McLennan County Sheriff's Department ordered the AFT (th Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms) to question Koresh on suspicion of child molestation, caching arms, rape and polygamy.

A 51 day siege ensued which ended sadly with the compound destroyed, 76 deaths (26 British), including 20 children, two pregnant women, 4 agents and Koresh himself.

Yet, according to a documentary I watched about the entire case and it's grisly outcome, certain members of the AFT, some time before the siege who were sent to meet Koresh in more relaxed settings, were later found to have become 'pally' with the man and even joined in some target practice, using live weapons, of tin cans on a wall next to the same ranch compound that later became notorious?

Has anyone heard this?

Edited by John Wilson

I recommend you read 'Feet of Clay' by Anthony Storr. It won't help with the conspiracy theory but will certainly help you understand some of ther processes going on in there.

I recommend you read 'Feet of Clay' by Anthony Storr. It won't help with the conspiracy theory but will certainly help you understand some of ther processes going on in there.

Thanks Andy.

By "processes" do you mean the official procedures by which the ATF operate? Or do you mean the deeper and maybe more sinister aspects of how they operate?