The Education Forum

Whites "Report"

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

This is a curious, rambling and unsubstantiated report of a susposed sighting which first appeared in the Peoples Journal in September 1919 shortly after Sgt Stephen Whites death. IF genuine it seems to indicate Whites meeting with the murderer took place just after the murder of Catharine Eddowes in mitre Sq. Treat it with some scepticism.

For five nights we had been watching a certain alley just off the Whitechapel road. It could only be entered from where we had two men posted, in hiding and Persons entering the alley were under obsivation by the two men. It was a biter cold night when I entered the scene to take the report off the two men in hiding. I was turning away when I saw a man come out from the alley. he was walking quickly, but noiselessly, apparantly wearing rubber shoes, which were rather rare in those days. i stood aside to let the man pass, and as he went under the lamp I got a good look at him. He was about five feet ten ins in hight, and was dressed rather shabbily, though it was obvious that the material of his cloths was good. Evidently a man who had seen better days. His face was long and slim, nostrils rather delicate, and his hair was jet black. His comlextion was sallow, and altogether the man was foreign in appearence. the most striking thing about him though was the exrtaordinary brilliance of his eyes, his hads were snow white with long tappering fingers. the man stumbled a few feet away from me, and I made that an excuse for engaging him in conversation, he turned sharply at the sound of my voice, and scowled at me in surly fashion, but he said good night and agreed that it was cold. His voice was a surprise to me. it was soft and musical, with just a tinge of melancholy in it, and it was the voice of a man of culture.

The rest of the report details White and the other Policemen finding the body of a Woman,At the end of the Cul-de-sac. (Mitre Square) And attempting to locate the man he had spoken to. " But he was lost to sight in the dark labyrinth of the east end mean streets.

google

White hands : Raynaud's phenomenon: A disorder of the small blood vessels of the extremities, causing coldness and reduced blood flow. In response to cold or anxiety,...

Sallow : List of symptoms of Congenital syphilis: The list of symptoms mentioned in various sources for Congenital syphilis includes:

Yellow skin (sallow)

- Symptoms of Rett's syndrome

Loss of ability to walk ( stumble, maybe a good reason to wear rubber shoes? )

Unusually bright eyes

--------

Do any suspects qualify?