The Education Forum

DAS WEISSE BAND

John Dolva

Unfortunately I missed out on this one. It seems like a film worth seeing some time.

I get the sense it may provide healing of a not uncommon but often private matter.

DAS WEISSE BAND The White Ribbon, German/Austrian.

I think if a review was written by a young person whose parents did not live through the Second World War was posted, it would be interesting to read it.

The next on the list of movies is turning out to be a local block buster, last night (as predicted, was sold out):

http://www.perthfestival.com.au/Events/Lot...-dragon-tattoo/ :

''THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

MÄN SOM HATAR KVINNOR*

AUSTRALIAN PREMIERE

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

Director: Niels Arden Oplev • 152min • MA

In Swedish with subtitles

Due to the anticipated popularity of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Festival will present additional late night screenings at Somerville (UWA) from Thur 18-Sun 21 March at 10.45pm.

This nail-biting, superbly acted and technically brilliant thriller is based on the first of Stieg Larsson's trilogy of novels, which sold over 12 million copies since first being published in 2004.

Cases really don't come any colder than the decades-old, inexplicable disappearance of teen heiress Harriet Vanger from her family's remote island retreat north of Stockholm. Forty years on, her rich industrialist uncle Henrik Vanger contacts Mikael Blomqvist (Michael Nyqvist), an investigative journalist recently convicted of libel, to find out what really happened to his niece. Together with young Goth hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), Mikael uncovers a morass of festering familial corruption and dark little secrets.''

___

*Men who hate Women

Well I did go and see the movie. I was late and left early. I'd been to a pretty fun upbeat gathering and the movie while excellent with the cinematography, the acting, of note a main character who is very remeniscent of Max Von Sydow, and the movie as a whole reminiscent of the starkest Bergman. This is a movie where realistic portrayal of undercurrents of society has a more horrifying element than say a slasher movie. The Swedish title is ''Men who hate Women'' but this is not translated in the program, rather the likely more digestible title in english is ''The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo''.

In fact the movie is about the actions of men who hate women but the woman (not ''girl'') becomes the focus. She is a victim of circumstance, forced into a soul destroying position by : men who hate women.

Anyway, that's what I got out of it with my admittedly truncated viewing of it. If anyone else has seen it it would be interesting to read a review.

edit:typo

Edited by John Dolva