The Education Forum

Watergate Exposed and the Cure for AIDS

Douglas Caddy

Watergate Exposed and the Cure for AIDS

The following is excerpted from chapter ten of the forthcoming book, Watergate Exposed: A Confidential Informant Tells How the Watergate Burglars Were Set-Up and Reveals Other Government Dirty Tricks, by Robert Merritt as told to Douglas Caddy, Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven:

One thing that everyone needs to know is that lose your job, lose your health and you

become one steps away from being homeless. That is never more true than today.

I had been on the streets for some time and was beginning to discover a brand new

world – a city underneath the City of New York. Another person who had befriended me

took me to Grand Central Station where we went through the main lobby and down a

small staircase that appeared obsolete. We descended down as far as we could go,

perhaps four to six stories underground. At the end of the staircase we came out to a train

platform that was no longer in use. We walked a couple of steps and then went onto a old

unused railroad track where we walked about 20 feet and came to a small sliding metal

door that was under the platform. The door was approximately three by four feet. When

we opened it to my surprise there were two guards on the other side who after we entered

searched us for weapons, drugs and alcohol. They were polite but cautious. I found

myself in a vast open area that was incredible huge. There were hundreds of people living

in spaces or cubicles. The area was lighted by electricity that also powered TV sets,

refrigerators and hot plates. The aroma of home cooked food was everywhere. All the

persons I met were exceptionally intelligent, nice and courteous.

I was in famous Mole City several stories below Manhattan. The rules for the

community were strict. No drugs, weapons, fighting, alcohol or sex. Believe it or not,

there were decent people with clean white sheets on their beds. They had chairs and

tables that originally had been thrown away on the streets above and somehow

transported to the city below.

The inhabitants of Mole City used the bathroom upstairs at Grand Central Station and

took their showers at public baths. Some of the persons had lived in Mole City for several

years. These persons were obviously not on the census roles. However, some of them

actually worked on Wall Street and left each weekday morning wearing appropriate

clothing and carrying a briefcase.

I was happy to live there despite the fact that we had literally hundreds of neighbors

living right beside us that we had to feed to keep them away from us. Some of the rats

were easily recognizable and had been given names.

I stayed there for over a year and managed to stay clean from crack for the entire

period. But I found myself becoming increasingly depressed, so I placed another ad in

The New York Times seeking a superintendent’s job again. I always had a telephone

number placed in the ad to receive my calls that was managed from a mail and answering

service. One day I found a message from a woman by the name of Monica Oboleneski. I

telephoned her back and learned that she was actually looking for a superintendent’s job

herself in a small building. We became instant friends over the telephone and she asked

me to meet her at the corner of Central Park South and 59th Street, just to talk. When we

met Monica told me that she lived at the Carnegie Apartments at 57th Street and Sixth

Avenue, where she was sharing an apartment with a famous fashion designer who was in

her 90’s. Monica said that the fashion designer, whom she never named, was charging

her little or nothing for rent. She said that she live in fear that when the lady passed away

that she could not possibly afford the rent on the apartment.

Monica told me that she had been a scientist in Russia and had defected to the U.S.

We met at the same spot for three or four weeks to talk. I would meet her because she

would bring me lunch every day and I loved her company.

One day Monica brought with her a package that contained a small vial of some

solution and a chemical compound that bore an inscription in the Russian language that

only a scientist could read. She said that the U.S. and the United Kingdom had created

the AIDS virus in a hidden and small laboratory in Africa. She maintained that the virus

was created to rid the world of certain undesirables, such as homosexuals and certain

ethnic groups and that those who created it believed that only people who practiced

unsafe sex and especially anal intercourse would contract and activate the virus. She said,

however, that the virus creators had forgotten about people who used IV drugs and that it

could be transmitted that way as well. Monica said that Russian spies had discovered the

plan to eradicate certain groups, which was deemed a new form of chemical warfare. She

further disclosed that the Russians had stolen the formula for the AIDS virus and had

developed an antidote to the virus that would kill it and rid the virus from the victim’s

body.

Monica made it quite clear to me that her life was in danger from the Russians, the

U.S., the United Kingdom and the pharmaceutical companies.

At the same time Monica disclosed that she wanted to sell the AIDS antidote to the

highest bidder. She asked me to help her to do this as she knew no one else that she could

trust.

I then made a horrible mistake that may have cost Monica her life and cheated the

world of the cure of AIDS. I told Carl Shoffler. At the time I thought that he would help

Monica. To my knowledge to this day I don’t know if Carl ever contacted Monica or

attempted to help her in any way. I also don’t know what happened to Monica because

she suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth.

One day much later I contacted the fashion designer by going to her apartment

building. I spoke to her on the house phone from the lobby and she told me that Monica

had been missing from over a year. She said that Monica had left expensive clothing, furs

and jewelry in her room and after months had passed she arranged for these to be donated

to the Good Will Industries. She told me that Monica had even left several hundred

dollars on her dresser and that this sum had been donated as well. I asked her if she had

found a package containing a vial and a chemical compound and she replied in the

negative.

I don’t know to this day what happened to Monica Oboleneski. Did Carl do something

that caused her disappearance? After all I did receive two thousand dollars from Carl via

Western Union for supplying him with the information. Was some government involved

or some pharmaceutical company? After all Monica was holding out to get the highest

bid, even while tens of thousands of people around the globe were contracting AIDS and

dying from the virus. If I could have looked into the future and could have seen my

destiny and how I was being exploited and used as a pawn to hurt others, I would have

gladly sacrificed my life for this sake.

[End of excerpt from Watergate Exposed]

---------------------------------

The following is excerpted from an article titled, “The Treatment: Why is it so difficult to develop drugs for cancer?” by

Malcolm Gladwell in The New Yorker magazine of May 17, 2010 (page 72]:

An early financial backer of [a cell biologist at Harvard Medical School named Lan Bo] Chen was Michael Milken, the junk-

bond king of the nineteen-eighties who, after being treated for prostate cancer, became a major cancer philanthropist. “I

told Milken my story,” Chen said, “and very quickly he said, ‘I am going to give you four million dollars. Do whatever you

want.’ Right away, Milken thought of Russia. Someone had told him that the Russians had, for a long time, thousands of

chemists in one city making compounds, and none of those compounds had been disclosed.” Chen’s first purchase was a

batch of twenty-two thousand chemicals, gathered from all over Russia and the Ukraine. They cost about ten dollars each,

and came in tiny glass vials.

[End of excerpt from The New Yorker]

Wow, what an interesting story. I don't think you should feel guilt about this. The woman was probably being followed and they saw the 2 of you together several times, and they killed her because they didn't want the AIDS cure put out there. Pharmaceutical companies are ruthless, imo. They have the cure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also have an antidote for cancer. The more people who get AIDS the more money these companes make. It's like Bell Helicoptor, etc. Keep the war going so the rich Texas men can have more money and control this country.

I think your friend was kidnapped and murdered. I don't know why she was holding out for the highest bidder. People needed an antidote. She was living with a wealthy woman.

Your description of the Mole world was unbelievable. Thanks for sharing that. Do the NY cops know about this place?

Kathy C

Wow, what an interesting story. I don't think you should feel guilt about this. The woman was probably being followed and they saw the 2 of you together several times, and they killed her because they didn't want the AIDS cure put out there. Pharmaceutical companies are ruthless, imo. They have the cure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also have an antidote for cancer. The more people who get AIDS the more money these companes make. It's like Bell Helicoptor, etc. Keep the war going so the rich Texas men can have more money and control this country.

I think your friend was kidnapped and murdered. I don't know why she was holding out for the highest bidder. People needed an antidote. She was living with a wealthy woman.

Your description of the Mole world was unbelievable. Thanks for sharing that. Do the NY cops know about this place?

Kathy C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_people

Robert Merritt lived in Mole City circa 1991-92. A book was subsequently published about Mole City (see link above.) Merritt tells me that not too long ago a NYC cop who was interviewed on television about Mole City under Grand Central Station declared that the authorities had decided to leave it alone as the homeless people living there were not a public nuisance and it was crime-free.

It turns out that there is another Mole City in Manhattan that is beneath Central Park. It is inhabitated by dangerous persons, such as thieves and drug users. One of the railroad tunnels connects the Mole City under Grand Central with its counterpart under Central Park. But the inhabitants of Mole City under Grand Central will have nothing to do with those living under Central Park.