Established 1981

London School of Islamics

An Educational Trust

63 Margery Park Road London E7 9LD

Email: info@londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

Tel/Fax: 0208 555 2733 / 07817 112 667

Chastity Crusade

An American Christian group is visiting Britain to preach sexual abstinence to teenagers. It is going to persuade them to wear a “chastity ring” on their wedding fingers. It is very difficult to find a virgin teenager in modern British society. Abstinence is the only way to stay disease and pregnant free. The group’s message would be irrelevant to most teenagers who are mature enough to lose their virginity at 14 or earlier. Silver Ring Thing is selling chastity rings for £10.00 to discourage teenagers from premarital sex.

The movement was founded in 1995 by Denny Pattyn in the United States. He calls today’s teenagers “the cesspool generation”. The UK has the second highest teenager pregnancy rate in the Western world. Over a million young Americans have already taken the Silver Ring Pledge. The British Humanist regards it the latest cranky Christian concept from America and has the full support of George W Bush with one million dollars as part of his campaign to replace sex education.

Western society is really un- interested in having sex free life before marriage. A Headmistress has condemned parents who allow their teenage daughters to wear skimpy clothes. Thousands of high street chemists are to be told they may be allowed to sell the morning-after pill without prescription to girls under 16.

Islam condemnation of permissive society is actually quite attractive to many who are concerned by the frightening growth of sexually transmitted diseases and break down of stable family structures. Muslim pupils need state funded Muslim schools with Muslim teachers to develop Islamic Identity. The new UK independent Party Euro MP said that business should not employ women of child –bearing age. We talk about the promiscuous society that relegates sex to a self-gratifying experience and refuses to acknowledge that self-control and having only one sexual partner for life might halt STD. In Afghanistan 99.9% of teenagers are virgin. The reason is that all teenager girls leave homes wearing Afghani Burkhas. There is no mix gathering. They attend single sex schools. They marry as early as possible. If the teenager girls start wearing Afghani Burkhas or Jilbab, I am sure that they are not going to lose their virginity before marriage. The other alternative is the wearing of Jilbab. The success of chastity crusade will depend on the number of teenagers leaving homes for schools with Jilbab or Afghani Burkhas.

Iftikhar Ahmad

• 1 month later...

A very interesting point of view

but as a point of information:

abstinence is NOT the only way to stop disease and pregnancy. (Maybe your own education is a bit stinted in this respect? )

£10 for a silver ring sounds like profiteering to me ...

“the cesspool generation” is a nasty generalisation - no doubt you can say you distance yourself from it, by your use of inverted commas. I teach "today's teenagers" and I cannot recognise them in these terms.

btw - Would it be OK for me to quote some racist abuse of "today's Muslims" and think I could get away with it by the judicious use of inverted commas?

I can't see quoting figures from Afghanistan as a good perusasive device - it's not so very long ago that the fundamentalist rulers there closed the schools and hospitals for women, and random acts of killing women for petty infrigements of rules is part of that legacy too. Maybe the non-virgins all got murdered to produce your 99.9% virgin ratio? The women there have certainly been kept in conditions akin to penal institutions.

ppl who do not know much about Afghanistan can easily find stuff like this, which took me a second browsing in The Guardain website:

Amnesty International recently documented the case of a 16-year-old girl who had been sentenced to two and a half years' imprisonment for the 'crime' of running away from an 85-year-old husband whom she had been forced to marry aged nine. Another 14-year-old girl was similarly sentenced to three years in prison for 'running away from home' because she had been unwilling to marry a 13-year-old cousin

In my country we call things like that child abuse

Edited by Susan Wilde

Without quoting facts and figures (which are widely available too), there's a relationship between abstinence/chastity programmes and a high level of sexually-transmitted diseases/teenage pregnancies, at least in the Western world.

In Sweden there's a local authority-run system of 'Young People's Clinics' which help young people with contraception, relationship counselling and abortions under conditions of strict privacy (i.e. parents don't get told). The funding and opening hours of these clinics vary from place to place in the country, and research shows a strict correlation between the availability of contraception and low rates of both STDs and abortion.

You'll find more information at the site of the Swedish National Association for Sex Information and Education (called RFSU in Swedish): http://www.rfsu.se

You'll need to navigate your way to pages in English, but if anyone's got a burning interest, I can tell you what the pages in Swedish say.

Edited by David Richardson