The Education Forum

David Icke?

John Wilson

What are your views on this formely widely respected British former sportsman and TV presenter turned self-confessed conspiracist?

After his 1991 announcement on primetime UKTV that he was "the son of God" he overnight became a figure of ridicule to many, yet today he has attracted a huge cult following and even the support of Alex Jones, noted US Radio Host and conspiracy theorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sTy4rVl7SE&feature=related

David Icke's forum

David's Wiki bio

Shouldn't this be in the Political Conspiracies section?

I think even on this forum where ideas like

- no planes hit the Twin Towers and they were destroyed by space beams

- there were 2 (or more) Oswalds and 2 Marguerites

- the Zapruder film is a "cartoon"

- evolution is a hoax

- the moon landings never took place

- Chemtrails

- James Files is credible

- JVB is credible

are taken seriously, Icke is a bit much

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I used to think so ever since his infamous TV appearance on Wogan in the 1980's when he announced he was 'the son of God', but one or two things he said since have sounded not-wacko. Like some ideas here, and elsewhere, do/don't?

Well, so far it just an opinion about a person (who is a conspiracy theorist). I think it is more appropriate in the PC section but for the moment I'm happy with it being here - unless John would prefer it moved.

FWIW, IMO he has espoused so many way out theories I consider him not worth discussing. Does he have a following? Yep - but almost any nutter will have a loyal group of followers.

• 2 weeks later...

John, for all his faults, I for one am glad to live in a world with David Icke.

Wouldn't you agree, he would be a damn site more fun to talk to than Richard Dawkins?

David is, like Alex, one of those "everything is a conspiracy" people. Some may see this as being unhealthy, but in the end, it's their belief, and David has never swayed from his version of the "truth". So whatever pleases him, and his followers. Honest, I have stopped reading him, pictures of him in all his aural, er, glory were a bit much, but I do like that type of stuff, I see it as a bit of fun, and sometimes, just sometimes, he points me toward something worthwhile.

I'd be interested to know what he has said that sounded good to you?

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

It was nothing specific that struck me (at least that I can remember, I don't frequent his site), only his legitimate-sounding, if a little actually wayward, healthy scepticism of Governments and the "secret Governments" behind them, which I definately believe in general, and especially in the West, which relate to themes like the JFK/MLK/RFK killings.

I like to keep an open mind on most matters and people, no matter how 'wacko' they are deemed.

Edited by John Wilson

I agree that they sometimes bring a bit of comic relief into the day - and make you think twice about some things - but the more rabid of these clowns have a very detrimental effect.

I liken it to the boy who cried wolf. These people going on about conspiracies and aliens and this and that to the extent where that when a REAL conspiracy is uncovered, most people will just put it down to another crazy notion from the nutters. The genuine matters of concern get lost amongst the dross.

True, the over-active clowns create a lot of diversionary and useless distraction, whilst the ringmasters hide themselves behind more cleverly-weaved disinformation based upon more credible semi-truth?

Even if Icke got the odd lucky direct hit with his many wild potshots, would any mud stick?