The Education Forum

Did Callaway REALLY see Oswald ?

We're still looking for the reason why Callaway would have asked Benavides which way Tippit's killer went if he observed him fleeing down Patton Ave. and confronted him as he claimed.

We're still looking for the reason why Callaway and Guinyard had the gunman fleeing down different sides of the street and crossing on opposite ends of the street.

We're still looking for the reason why Callaway would have asked Benavides which way Tippit's killer went if he followed the gunman as Guinyard claimed he did.

From Sam Guinyard's testimony:

Mr. GUINYARD. Mr. Callaway followed him, you see, we was together--he was my boss at that time and he followed him.

Mr. BALL. Callaway?

Mr. GUINYARD. Yes; trying to see which way was he going.

Mr. BALL. And then, which way did he go after he got to Jefferson?

Mr. GUINYARD. He went west on Jefferson--on the right-hand side---going west.

Mr. BALL. And what did Callaway do?

Mr. GUINYARD. He turned around and run back to the street .....

( 7 H 398 )

Guinyard's testimony suggests that he and Callaway saw the gunman travel west on West Jefferson, that Callaway actually followed the gunman for a short distance, then ran back to Patton Ave..

Callaway's testimony confirms that the last time he saw the gunman he was travelling west on West Jefferson:

Mr. DULLES. May I ask what course he was taking when you last saw him?

Mr. CALLAWAY. He was going west on Jefferson Street.

Mr. DULLES. West on Jefferson Street?

Mr. CALLAWAY. Yes, sir.

( 3 H 354 )

With Guinyard and Callaway that day was B.D. Searcy. Callaway claimed to have told Searcy to follow the gunman.

Mr. BALL. Did you ever ask Searcy if he followed him?

Mr. CALLAWAY. He didn't follow him. He said something about "Follow him, hell. That man will kill you. He has a gun." So instead of following him, he went back over and got behind the office building.

Mr. DULLES. Did he see him at any time?

Mr. CALLAWAY. Yes; he saw him the same time I did; yes, sir. I never could figure out why he didn't just follow that man. You could follow 50 yards behind him and keep a guy in sight. Chances are you wouldn't get killed 50 yards away.

( 3 H 356 )

It seems to me that Callaway, Guinyard and Searcy were all "behind the office building" when the gunman passed by, which is why there is so much diversion between the witnesses as to what they saw.

It may also be the reason why Searcy " went back over and got behind the office building " where it was safe.

BTW, even though Callaway testified that Searcy saw the gunman, Searcy was never called to testify before the Commission. I can find no evidence that he was ever deposed by counsel and no report of any FBI interview of him.

Edited by Gil Jesus