The Education Forum

An Open Letter to John Simkin

Guest James H. Fetzer

Guest James H. Fetzer

John,

I tried to send this as a personal message, but I have been informed that you are not receiving "personal messages". I am simply stunned:

John,

I have just discovered an announcement from Evan Burton that posts prior to 2006 are being deleted due to a lack of "disk space". That is absurd. If anything has happened with recent developments in computer science, it is that disc space has become cheaper and cheaper. I can't believe that you would allow this to happen. The contents of this forum could, at the least, have been donated to the Library of Congress or The National Archives. Is it still possible? Egad! We are talking about decades of irreplaceable research. This is tragic.

Jim

Guest James H. Fetzer

John,

I mentioned this at the Deep Politics Forum and Magda has offered to archive the material that Evan seems to be deleting.

That would surely be a far more desirable outcome: freeing up your space while preserving the historical research record.

Jim

John,

I tried to send this as a personal message, but I have been informed that you are not receiving "personal messages". I am simply stunned:

John,

I have just discovered an announcement from Evan Burton that posts prior to 2006 are being deleted due to a lack of "disk space". That is absurd. If anything has happened with recent developments in computer science, it is that disc space has become cheaper and cheaper. I can't believe that you would allow this to happen. The contents of this forum could, at the least, have been donated to the Library of Congress or The National Archives. Is it still possible? Egad! We are talking about decades of irreplaceable research. This is tragic.

Jim

Due to diminishing server disk space and the considerable expense of upgrading, the Forum is going to have to delete old attachments

The way I read it is that Evan is deleting old attachments. These are photos and diagrams within some posts. It does not say that posts will be deleted.

Many times, going through old threads, I have found attachments already gone, and these are not due to the forum removing them. There is limited attachment space for each member, and sometime, if one wants to put up a new attachment, one has to remove another one to make room for it. It is much better to use an outside imaging source like Photobucket to post photos. That way nothing is lost.

It sure would be nice to be able to see again Larry Florer's high school graduation photo which James Richards posted for me (because I didn't know how to do it) five or six years ago which proved that Ted Shackley didn't dye his hair black and get himself arrested in the Dal-Tex building supposedly looking for a phone and calling himself "Larry Florer". The guy arrested looking for a phone was a real person named Larry Florer who had graduated from Highland Park High School in Oak Cliff. I didn't delete that post, and I doubt that James Richards did either.

Thanks,

--Tommy :ph34r:

P.S. No, I don't still have it on my hard drive. It's a long story.

Edited by Thomas Graves

If the photo was missing prior to now, perhaps James needed to remove it to attach other things. Each member has only available a limited amount of attachment "space". That is exactly why we recommend Photobucket.

OK Kathy. Thanks. Will do.

--Tommy :ph34r:

Guest Robert Morrow

The information on this forum is very important. It is the best stuff on the internet. Please do not delete the old posts. They need to be archived some where.

I can understand deleting the old photos and attachments that take up too much space. But the posts, discussions and conversations need to be preserved for researchers many decades from here.

Lot of of excellent stuff on the JFK assassination here. It is the highest quality on the internet as a sum total.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but if you're are lacking space on you're hard drive in order to preserve information, may I ask if you are operating you're web-site off a sever or you're tower? Really doesn't matter although a server would hold more information depending on the size of you're hard drive. You could however, purchase an external hard drive without having to replace you're existing one therefore you have now created additional space. Hope that helped...