The Education Forum

BBC Family History

John Simkin

This major new TV series starting on 12 October on BBC 2 sees well known celebrities tracing their family roots and revealing secrets and surprises from their pasts. The series travels the globe as each celebrity embarks on a voyage of personal discovery, exploring their personal history and discovering fascinating facts that had been hidden by the passage of time. After each programme, viewers will be shown practical tips on how to trace their own family history and will be encouraged to do their own research, inspired by the celebrities’ stories. Complementing the BBC 2 series, Family Ties on BBC 4 is a collection of moving and inspiring stories of ordinary people who have discovered extraordinary events through their own genealogical research.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/

• 4 weeks later...

This major new TV series starting on 12 October on BBC 2 sees well known celebrities tracing their family roots and revealing secrets and surprises from their pasts.

I have enjoyed the TV programmes to date and the supporting website for the

programmes is excellent. "Family History" is a growing hobby but I worry about the standard of work which is produced. This thought inspired me to place a few pages on our website to help beginners. I'd like to encourage people to trace their ancestors but also to do so with concern for historical accuracy

This is www.knowingbritishhistory.co.uk/famhistone.htm

This is part of the Focus page section of the website celebrating the "Knowing British History" text books of S.L.Case....www.knowingbritishhistory.co.uk

John Edward Palin