The Education Forum

Gary North's Attack On Me Regarding the Obamas' Law Licenses Smear

Douglas Caddy

GARY NORTH IS WRONG WHEN HE CHARGES BOTH OBAMAS LOST THEIR

ILLINOIS LAW LICENSES

By Douglas Caddy

Lewrockwell.com carries an article on September 6, 2012, titled “Infamous Lawyer Defends Barack-Michelle-License Scam. Gary North Swats Him Down” When the reader clicks on the article that which comes up is titled, “Left-Wing Lawyer Who Founded the Modern Buckley-Based Conservative Movement Defends Obama.”

http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1195.html

I confess that I am the lawyer involved although I do not consider myself left-wing or infamous. I do consider myself to be a liberal these days as the conservatism that I embraced in the 1950’s and 1960’s when I helped found Youth for Goldwater and Young Americans for Freedom is now reflected in the modern day liberal movement. For example, U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Richard Posner, ranked among the leading conservative jurists, recently said that, “There has been a real deterioration in conservative thinking. And that has to lead people to re-examine and modify their thinking. I’ve become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy.” As for being infamous, my biography appears with other infamous persons in Who’sWho in American Law, Who’sWho in America and Who’sWho in the World.

I am a subscriber to Gary North’s daily writings that can be found at garynorth.com. I find many of his articles provide invaluable information, especially on monetary and financial subjects and practical how-to-do-it topics. I do not embrace the views he espouses on religion and so regularly skip over these. However, I have no hesitation in recommending his website and encourage others to subscribe to it. I rank garynorth.com, lewrockwell.com, and the educationforum.ipbhost.com among the best sources of information one can find on the Internet.

I have stated a number of times on my Facebook page that I am not voting for either Obama or Romney or for anyone else. I am skipping the presidential line in November but am voting on the other ballot races.

Where I recently disagreed with Gary North was his website article of September 5, 2012, titled “Obama’s Brand of Marxism” in which he stated, “The key to understanding Obama is not Marxism. The key is that he and his wife both lost their licenses to practice law in Illinois.”

It is false to state the either Barack or Michelle Obama lost their license to practice law in Illinois.

Here is the truth of the matter as disclosed by factcheck.org, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center, and by the authoritative snopes.com:

http://factcheck.org/2012/06/the-obamas-law-licenses/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/lawlicenses.asp

So who should one believe on this issue: Gary North or the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois?

Everyone is entitled to be wrong once in a while and I maintain that Gary North so erred when he wrote that both Obamas lost their licenses to practice law in Illinois.

We saw this to a lesser extent with Clinton but right wingers' hatred of Obama causes their brains to take a holiday. According to polls a majority of Republicans believe he was not born in the US I imagine the percent who believe this is proportional to how far right they are.