The Education Forum

When was Oswald first ID'ed in media

Len Osanic

Date: 2/14/2013 8:24:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

To: Gary Mack

Thanks, Gary. I've been expecting to hear from you on this.

So, via the WBAP log, it appears that my 2:40 PM CST timestamp for the ABC-TV "Oswald" announcement (which another person, Jeff Carter, also mentioned in the forum thread) is probably spot-on accurate.

David V.P.

Edited by David Von Pein

Date: 2/14/2013 9:15:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

To: David Von Pein

Must be. But I'm really baffled by some of this. I checked the ABC log this afternoon and I could swear the log said 4:46 was the time, which means 3:46 in Dallas. Just before I sent you and Bill [Kelly] the note tonight I found that NBC gave Oswald's name at 3:23 Dallas time, but then I found where I sent someone else the WBAP quote months ago. So if I have the time tomorrow, I'll check the ABC log again. Weird.

Gary

Edited by David Von Pein

Date: 2/14/2013 9:51:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

E-Mail From: David Von Pein

To: Gary Mack

But isn't it possible that there was an earlier ABC report mentioning Oswald at 2:40 PM CST, along with the 3:46 PM CST report you have mentioned? Maybe somebody merely overlooked the 2:40 report by mistake.

DVP

Edited by David Von Pein

After digging into this matter a little further, I have been able to positively confirm that Lee Oswald's name is first mentioned on the ABC Television Network (and on WFAA-TV in Dallas) at approximately 2:40 PM Dallas time (Central Standard Time).

The way I was able to confirm it is by comparing the WFAA-TV local Dallas coverage with the raw feed from the ABC-TV network footage that I also have in my collection.

They are identical when comparing the timeframe in question, starting with Abraham Zapruder's WFAA interview and continuing for several minutes after that interview concludes. And the timing on the ABC Network raw feed works out to just exactly what I said earlier -- ABC said the name "Lee Oswald" at just about 2:40 PM CST, which was precisely four minutes after Jay Watson of WFAA finished his interview with Abraham Zapruder.

As I mentioned earlier, the "2:40 PM CST" timestamp hinges on the Zapruder interview beginning at the time when the Sixth Floor Museum chronology says it began--2:31 PM CST. But I think I can pretty much confirm that timestamp as well, via my two hours of uncut ABC-TV coverage coming from the raw feed in New York City. The 2:31 PM time works out perfectly when timestamping things in my 2-hour ABC series (which is a series that begins at approximately 12:45 PM CST):

jfk-assassination-as-it-happened.blogspot.com/ABC-TV Network Feed

Edited by David Von Pein

Here is a forwarded question from Jeff Carter, who has been working with me on the 5o Reasons series:

Hagerty inhales and cuts Goddard off to praise quick reaction by the Secret Service in speeding away from Dealey Plaza. (Based on eyewitness report from ABC reporter Bob Clark, who also interestingly said that the motorcade came to a complete halt, which Hagerty does not mention). (The story of a dead Secret Service man has been attached to the news from Oak Cliff up to this time, but soon is dropped. )

Always glad to hear of another witness to the limo stop, though this is not the point of this thread. If there is elsewhere a thread on the dead Secret Service man I should like to know when and by whom this was reported.

Assuming no cuts in the video.

You could also refer back to the video from post #1.

At 2:55 into it, Oswald's name is mentioned.

At 9:43 into it, the reporter says JFK has been dead for 1hour and 49 min.

I believe he was pronounced dead at 1P.M. Dallas time.

So, 9:43 - 2:55 = approx. 7 minutes.

1P.M. + 1hour/49 min = 2:49- 7 min = 2:42 P.M. Dallas time.

Another Math problem.

chris

• 3 years later...

Addendum....

FYI....

As for the CBS and NBC television networks, the first time that Oswald's name is spoken over the air on CBS-TV came at 2:59 PM Dallas Time (3:59 PM EST) on November 22nd, when anchorman Walter Cronkite said that the man the Dallas police had in custody after a fight in the Texas Theater was named "Leo H. Oswald" [go to 2:29:15 in this CBS video].

Interestingly, Walter Cronkite's error regarding Lee Harvey Oswald's name wouldn't be the last time that Walter mangled Oswald's name on the air that weekend in 1963. In two other separate reports aired on the weekend of the assassination, Cronkite misspoke again when saying LHO's name, telling the TV audience in one of those reports that the alleged assassin's name was "Lee Henry Oswald"; while in another report, Mr. Cronkite said the suspect's name was "Lee Harvey Osburn".

As far as the NBC-TV assassination coverage is concerned, the first time we hear the name Lee Oswald occurs at roughly 3:20 PM Central Time on 11/22/63 [at the 2:30:50 mark in this video], when newsman Charles Murphy of NBC's Dallas/Fort Worth affiliate WBAP-TV says this on the network:

"Homicide detective Leavelle told WBAP newsman James Kerr in Dallas a few minutes ago they have little doubt that 24-year-old Lee Oswald of Dallas is the man who shot and killed Dallas police officer J.D. Tippit shortly after President Kennedy was shot to death this afternoon. Oswald was pulled screaming and shouting from the Texas Theater by officers who had gone there on a tip that Oswald was there. He brandished a pistol which officers took away from him after a struggle. Oswald was quoted as saying, "It's all over now." .... The coincidence in the case is that Oswald worked as a stockman at the Texas Book Depository, the building from which the sniper shot President Kennedy. Dallas police have declined to say whether they think Oswald is connected with the assassination."

jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2016/07/jfk-assassination-arguments-part-1156.html

The-JFK-Assassination-As-It-Happened-Log

Edited by David Von Pein

Another "FYI" Addendum....

E-Mail From: Gary Mack
To: David Von Pein
Date: 2/14/2013 7:48:12 PM EST

From The Sixth Floor Museum's index of the original WBAP tapes is this description (written by a former WBAP staffer who digitized them). I have no evidence to contradict his summary:

16. 2:43 pm WBAP's David Daniel interrupts for word from Dallas Police of the arrest of "a 24-year-old man, Lee H. Oswald" in connection with the shooting of Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippit. He's being questioned to see if he has any connection with JFK assassination. "Oswald was pulled screaming and yelling" from the Texas Theater in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. After a pistol is taken from him during a scuffle, he's quoted as saying, "It's all over now."

I must have overlooked an EST reference, for which I apologize.

Gary Mack

DAVID VON PEIN SAID:

I can definitely confirm, via minute-by-minute timestamping of my collection of WBAP-Radio material [available HERE], that Gary Mack's 2013 e-mail concerning the 2:43 PM CST time of David Daniel's radio report about Oswald is precisely accurate---to the exact minute. I've extracted that news bulletin from my WBAP archives, and it can be heard HERE.

Edited by David Von Pein