The Education Forum

LBJ as Vice President

John Simkin

On 29th May, 1998, Walt Brown gave a press conference where he claimed that a previously unidentified fingerprint on a box found on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository belonged to Malcolm “Mac” Wallace:

Brown presented data showing a 14-point match between Wallace's fingerprint card, obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety, and the previously unidentified print, a copy of which was kept in the National Archives. The match was made by A. Nathan Darby, an expert with certification by the International Association of Identifiers.

The Texas researchers forwarded their findings to the Dallas Police Department, who passed it on to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Copies have also gone to Assassination Records Review Board, the federal panel created to oversee the identification and release of records relating to the JFK assassination.

Walt Brown is a member of the Forum. I will email him to get the latest on the fingerprint evidence.

Interested parties who did not want to get the typical "Oswald did it alone and don't bother" answer took the print issue to experts at Interpol, and, I'm told, hearsay-wise, that a match was confirmed. I can't prove that, but that is what I was told. Nathan worked or worked/is working on that one print for several years, and he just turned 90.

There is a very good researcher in Austin who predates all the research into the Mac Wallace and Johnson information, including the fingerprint. His files on this are extensive. He remains in the shadows as a 'deep investigator' and has tons of documentation pertaining to Johnson and others pre Washington. I wish he would make his research available to the public. I have talked to him about this. He is very sick now. He is one of the silent warriors in all this research and has paid dearly for his work. His research is a must read. It does not contain opinions or speculations about who killed Kennedy and why. It is document by a chain of evidence which predates the early fifties and encompasses the late sixties and early seventies..

Thanks

Edited by William Plumlee

William Plumlee Posted Today, 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Walt Brown @ Nov 18 2004, 08:50 AM)

QUOTE(John Simkin @ Nov 18 2004, 08:12 AM)

On 29th May, 1998, Walt Brown gave a press conference where he claimed that a previously unidentified fingerprint on a box found on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository belonged to Malcolm “Mac” Wallace:

Brown presented data showing a 14-point match between Wallace's fingerprint card, obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety, and the previously unidentified print, a copy of which was kept in the National Archives. The match was made by A. Nathan Darby, an expert with certification by the International Association of Identifiers.

The Texas researchers forwarded their findings to the Dallas Police Department, who passed it on to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Copies have also gone to Assassination Records Review Board, the federal panel created to oversee the identification and release of records relating to the JFK assassination.

Walt Brown is a member of the Forum. I will email him to get the latest on the fingerprint evidence.

Interested parties who did not want to get the typical "Oswald did it alone and don't bother" answer took the print issue to experts at Interpol, and, I'm told, hearsay-wise, that a match was confirmed. I can't prove that, but that is what I was told. Nathan worked or worked/is working on that one print for several years, and he just turned 90.

There is a very good researcher in Austin who predates all the research into the Mac Wallace and Johnson information, including the fingerprint. His files on this are extensive. He remains in the shadows as a 'deep investigator' and has tons of documentation pertaining to Johnson and others pre Washington. I wish he would make his research available to the public. I have talked to him about this. He is very sick now. He is one of the silent warriors in all this research and has paid dearly for his work. His research is a must read. It does not contain opinions or speculations about who killed Kennedy and why. It is document by a chain of evidence which predates the early fifties and encompasses the late sixties and early seventies..

Thanks

Tosh, you bring up this character every now and then. You have aroused my interest in his work. Where and when will this material be available to researchers?

Referring to: "His material is a must read". Thanks.

William Plumlee Posted Today, 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Walt Brown @ Nov 18 2004, 08:50 AM)

QUOTE(John Simkin @ Nov 18 2004, 08:12 AM)

Thanks

Tosh, you bring up this character every now and then. You have aroused my interest in his work. Where and when will this material be available to researchers?

Over the years parts of his work have been released. He gets very upset if his I.D. is made public or sited as the source. He works with documents and does his own leg work.., he does not get into opinions or speculations unles he can throw a document or some other fact in your face. He is very sick now with cancer and some (as well as I) are trying to get him to share his work with the research community. In my eye he is one of the unsung heroes of the research community. His work not only concerns JFK but all the side bars into the Texas political systems which may have lead up to that day. And too, he was there that day in an official capacity. His own story is one I find very interesting and I think should be told along with his research. There is a world of history in his files. I do not feel I should breach his trust by exposing him to the community until he so desires.

• 1 month later...

In his book The Dark Side of Camelot, Seymour Hersh provides some interesting insights into why Johnson became Kennedy’s vice presidential candidate. He interviewed several of the figures involved in these negotiations. This included Clark Clifford who states that Stuart Symington had been JFK choice all along and that he was actually told the night of the nomination that he was to get the job. Clifford was the one who told Symington. He then reported back to JFK that he had said yes. This is backed up by another JFK aide, Hyman Raskin, before he died he wrote an unpublished memoir of these events. (1)

Raskin points out that LBJ and Sam Rayburn asked for a meeting with JFK soon after the nomination. This took place early the next morning. Rayburn and Clifford did not attend the meeting. However, JFK emerged to say that LBJ would now be his running-mate. Clifford was given the task of telling Symington that JFK had changed his mind. JFK told Clifford that he had never gone back on a deal like this but after his meeting with LBJ and Rayburn he “had no alternative”.

Clifford was never told why JFK had “no alternative”. However, it had nothing to do with winning the election. True they won Texas but by having LBJ on the ticket they knew they would lose California (as they did). Their polling showed that Symington was crucial if they were to win this state.

JFK did tell Raskin why he had changed his mind: “You know we had never considered Lyndon, but I was left with no choice. He and Sam Rayburn made it damn clear to me that Lyndon had to be the candidate. Those bastards were trying to frame me. They threatened me with problems and I don’t need more problems.”

Evelyn Lincoln, JFK’s personal secretary, was also aware of what happened. She told Anthony Summers that Hoover had been involved in the plot to get LBJ as JFK’s running mate. (2) Lincoln believes it was Hoover’s evidence of JFK’s womanizing that was being used to blackmail him to put LBJ on the ticket.

I personally doubt this was the case. There were several attempts to blackmail JFK with a wide variety of potentially damaging affairs he had with some very dubious women during 1960. JFK never paid up and these stories were taken to the press. The most significant of these was Florence Kater who had photographs and tape-recordings of his affair with Pamela Turmure. When JFK refused to pay up she passed this evidence on to the press and the FBI. JFK responded by threatening Kater that he would get her and her husband dismessed from their jobs. (3)

The press refused to publish the story and so she followed JFK around with a placard that showed a photograph of JFK attemting to cover his face while leaving Turmure’s apartment. Despite this campaign by Kater, JFK refused to end his affair with Turmure. In fact, after he became president he appointed Turnure as Jackie’s press secretary.

The fact that LBJ blackmailed JFK to become vice president raises other issues. One reason JFK did not consider LBJ for the job was the belief that he would refuse. Everyone knew that the job would reduce LBJ’s power. That is why all of LBJ’s cronies, including Rayburn, were totally opposed to the idea of him being vice president. Rayburn told Johnson what a former Vice-President, John Nance Garner had said after four wasted years: “The office ain’t worth a pitcher of warm spit.”

As Bobby Baker points out, this all changed on the eve of the nomination. At a meeting held in LBJ’s hotel room, all his backers changed their mind on the matter. The reason that Baker gives for this is completely unconvincing. Maybe LBJ’s comment that president’s had a habit of dying in office indicates the real reason he was so desperate to become vice president. (4)

Notes

1. Seymour Hersh, The Dark Side of Camelot (1997) pages 121 to 130

2. Anthony Summers, Official and Confidential (1993) pages 271 to 273

3. Seymour Hersh, The Dark Side of Camelot (1997) pages 107 to 110

4. Bobby Baker, Wheeling and Dealing (1978) page 126

• 6 months later...

Horace Busby was LBJ's speechwriter and political advisor. He died in 2002 at the age of 76. Relatives found a manuscript about LBJ and it has just been published as An Intimate Portrait of Lyndon Johnson's Final Days in Office.

It includes some interesting information. Busby claimed that LBJ heard that JFK was going to drop him from the ticket in 1964. JFK arranged to visit LBJ at his ranch after they got back from Dallas. LBJ assumed that he was going to tell him then that he was going to be replaced. Busby confirms that while in Dallas, LBJ knew he was going to be dropped as vice president.

• 8 months later...

Thanks

Over the years parts of his work have been released. He gets very upset if his I.D. is made public or sited as the source. He works with documents and does his own leg work.., he does not get into opinions or speculations unles he can throw a document or some other fact in your face. He is very sick now with cancer and some (as well as I) are trying to get him to share his work with the research community. In my eye he is one of the unsung heroes of the research community. His work not only concerns JFK but all the side bars into the Texas political systems which may have lead up to that day. And too, he was there that day in an official capacity. His own story is one I find very interesting and I think should be told along with his research. There is a world of history in his files. I do not feel I should breach his trust by exposing him to the community until he so desires.

[/color]

Tosh

While looking for something else earlier I happened upon this thread. Tosh was referring to our good friend Jay Harrison who died last May. His files were left to Walt Brown, who continues to work on a release of same. Walt's magazine "Deep Politics Quarterly" had a long article on J last summer and subsequent issues always refer to our "deep cover" pal. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him and have a question. I did not ever say his name to anyone till after he was gone. That was J's one price of friendship and sharing his vast knowledge: respect his need for privacy so that he could do his research without fearing he'd encounter a "one car accident" or the like.

Dawn