The Education Forum

FBI Files on the JFK Assassination

I still wonder what Mr. Simkin means when he says there may be a parallel between the Hiss case and the Oswald case. John, I too appreciate your open mind, and its true that doctrinaire thinking is to be avoided. But are you inferring that you think the Warren Commission got it right, or that further release of FBI files or KGB files might convince you of that in the future?

Not at all. What I am saying is that they might be holding back the files because they made terrible mistakes in the investigation. The FBI protected Hiss not because he was a communist (J.Edgar Hoover hated them) but because they did not arrest him and the other members of the spy ring when they received the information in 1943. Hoover later blamed Roosevelt and Truman for this but it is clear that they could have taken action against these spies.

The arrest and non-persection of Jacob Golos, the head of the Soviet spy ring in 1943 is another strange case.

John - thanks for that clarification. I missed that subtlety when I first read your post on Hiss.

Edited by Paul Brancato