The Education Forum

Where is the Counter?

Excerpt from the Warren Commission testimony of Eddie Piper:

"Mr. Piper. I heard one shot, and then the next shot went off the one that shot him and I got on up and went on back, back where they make coffee at the end of the counter where I could see what happened and before I could get there, the third shot went off, and I seen the people all running and in a few minutes someone came in the building, and I looked up and it was the bossman and a policeman or something."

Does anyone, familiar with the first floor layout, know where this counter is that Eddie Piper speaks of?

There is one near the TSBD front door Bob,I am not sure if this is the one referenced though.

Mr. TRULY. Yes; right at the front. Mr. Caster had placed the cartons on the counter near the front door and that's where the rifles were when I them, and I picked one up out of the cartons.
Mr. BALL. And were they employees of the Texas School Book company on the first floor at that time?
Mr. TRULY. Yes; they were---as I recall the time that the boys had ably gone back to work and could have been walking around before they went in the shipping department.

Source:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/truly2.htm

It must have been close to the front of the building, if Piper could still see the people running around, following the third shot. Of course, he does say that he heard the third shot before he got to the counter.

Another question, did any witness beside Piper see Baker and Truly go up the stairs in the NW corner of the TSBD?

Thanks, Mark. I see the coffee area marked on the counter, over toward the NW corner of the main floor.

Anyone know of a witness beside Eddie Piper who was on the main floor, and saw Baker and Truly enter the TSBD and go up the stairs?