The Education Forum

JFK and the Missiles of Key West

John Simkin

Tim Gratz has asked me to post this link:

http://missilesofkeywest.com/navyphoto.htm

The article has an interesting story about JFK's very brief visit to Key West in November of 1962. He was accompanied by every member of the Joint Chiefs of staff. Kennedy's Lincoln was borrowed from a Lincon dealer in Miami.

Aside: Henry Flagler was a partner with John D. Rockefeller and he took a great interest in Key West and the East Coast of Florida. Before there was a highway into the keys, Flagler built a railroad from Miami to Key West. He also built a hotel in Key West called the Casa Marina (it is located on the west end of Flagler Street). The hotel had encountered hard times and in the 1960s its owner was leasing it to the military for housing. It was the US Army Command Post in Key West, and JFK drove by it on his motorcade into Key West. Don't know whether JFK knew this, but the owner of the Casa Marina who was leasing it to the Army was the Teamsters Union!

Sheriff John Spottswood was in the motorcade with JFK. Spottswood owned an island (Munson Island) located twenty-eight miles north of Key West. In June and July of 1962 Spottswood had donated the use of his island to Warner Brothers for filiming a movie. The name of the movie: PT 109.

The island had been used as a fishing island by Spottswood and his friend Harry truman but it has now been developed as a world-class resort, Little Palm Island.

A curious connection: in the mid 1990s Little Palm Island was purchased by a closely-held Washington state company called Noble House. Noble House owns about twelve preium properties in the U.S. One of its hotels is the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas.

The article has an interesting story about JFK's very brief visit to Key West in November of 1962.  He was accompanied by every member of the Joint Chiefs of staff....  A curious connection:  in the mid 1990s Little Palm Island was purchased by a closely-held Washington state company called Noble House.  Noble House owns about twelve premium properties in the U.S.  One of its hotels is the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas.

Off topic:

On the day the above was posted, November 16th, I was celebrating my 50th birthday on my Duval Street balcony:

Earlier that day I toured the Truman Annex with the Little White House:

Tim

P.S. Another personally synchronistic tie-in to the above post is that I had dinner at the Adolphus Hotel just last night with Bob Groden.

Edited by Tim Carroll

The article has an interesting story about JFK's very brief visit to Key West in November of 1962.  He was accompanied by every member of the Joint Chiefs of staff....  A curious connection:  in the mid 1990s Little Palm Island was purchased by a closely-held Washington state company called Noble House.  Noble House owns about twelve premium properties in the U.S.  One of its hotels is the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas.

Off topic:

On the day the above was posted, November 16th, I was celebrating my 50th birthday on my Duval Street balcony:

Earlier that day I toured the Truman Annex with the Little White House:

Tim

P.S. Another personally synchronistic tie-in to the above post is that I had dinner at the Adolphus Hotel just last night with Bob Groden.

TIM!

Happy birthday!

Wish we would have known you were in Key West. Would have been great to meet you. If any Forum members ever are planning a trip to Key West, give me an E-mail.

Wish we would have known you were in Key West.  Would have been great to meet you.  If any Forum members ever are planning a trip to Key West, give me an E-mail.

Tim,

I wish you had been on this forum just a bit sooner, as I did announce my itinerary. Very ominous atmosphere in Little Havana. I particularly was influenced by your series of articles and had discussed Diosdado with Tosh Plumlee with regard to the the timings of flights which required Customs to look the other way. Tosh shared a few names to look up at Marathon Airport, where I had a great room directly across from Abyss Divers.

I would have loved to hook up with you there - the partying was hellagood, with the women all showing their boobs and everyone winding up closing the Green Parrott at 4am. I love the place!

Tim

Wish we would have known you were in Key West.  Would have been great to meet you.  If any Forum members ever are planning a trip to Key West, give me an E-mail.

Tim,

I wish you had been on this forum just a bit sooner, as I did announce my itinerary. Very ominous atmosphere in Little Havana. I particularly was influenced by your series of articles and had discussed Diosdado with Tosh Plumlee with regard to the the timings of flights which required Customs to look the other way. Tosh shared a few names to look up at Marathon Airport, where I had a great room directly across from Abyss Divers.

I would have loved to hook up with you there - the partying was hellagood, with the women all showing their boobs and everyone winding up closing the Green Parrott at 4am. I love the place!

Tim

Ya Tim, Happy belated birthday!!!

Looking forward to hearing about the whole trip.

Dawn