The Education Forum

Armstrong managed to put several blunders in just one paragraph of his book H&L 

@Hargrove: So acc to your claim Oswald was fluent in Russian hiding his skills and took bogus Russian lessons with Shuskevich  to further hide his skills in Russian?  --- You made my day. 

KK

Edited by Karl Kinaski

Are you ever going to explain to us how Oswald knew Russian so well before ever setting foot in the Soviet Union?  (See my last post on the previous page.)

Shushkevich told an interviewer that Oswald seemed to have little interest in learning Russian and Shuskevich thought his real job was "to see how much Russian Oswald really knew...."

Shushkevich.jpg

Shushkevich is saying that Oswald spoke already Russian when he came to Minsk and his task was to improve his Russian-speaking-skills. He never said he didn't like Oswald(what Armstrong claimed in HARVEY AND LEE) or Oswald was unwilling to learn Russian. He never said Oswald didn't speak any Russian at all like Ana Ziger 40 years after the events in Minsk. 

Just read the Shushkevich Interview about his experience with Oswald and his Russian skills.

Edited by Karl Kinaski

I just excerpted Shuskevich who said about Oswald's Russian: "He didn't appear to know a lot. He didn't appear to want to know a lot."

For the third time today I'll ask, How did Oswald learn Russian before ever going to the Soviet Union?  As James Norwood wrote on this forum in 2017:

Regarding Oswald's exam score on the  Department of Army's Russian language proficiency test, Lt. Col. Alison Folsom provided a breakdown of the results for the Warren Commission.  There were three components to the exam, suggesting that this was a comprehensive test.  Oswald's scores were as follows:   understanding (-5), reading (+4), writing (+3), with the composite +2 indicating that Oswald answered two more questions correctly than those that he missed on the exam.  So, the young man scored better than 50% on this challenging exam.

Another factor needs to be considered, based on Col. Folsom's testimony:  Oswald was also administered tests in cognitive abilities in English, including reading and vocabulary; arithmetical computation; and pattern analysis.  His scores on these tests were all rated as “poor.”  Oswald was even administered a “radio code test,” in which Lt. Colonel Folsom indicated that Oswald’s score was in the bottom, or the “lowest” in results.  

For those who claim that Oswald had an innate intelligence that permitted him to learn Russian by self-study and "immersion," how can one explain the all-around negative scores he received on basic cognitive abilities?

English/German language instructor Mathias Bauman posted on the forum also in 2017:

... Oswald managed to reach level L2/R2 in Russian - which would have qualified him to be a language expert in the military - by self-study only. Why don't you show us the material he used for his studies - I'd like to recommend them to my American friend who's just barely passed his L1/R1 exam after 300 lessons of training.

Mr. Baumann also wrote:

.... here and on other threads I've shown that

- the target level of foreign language tests in the US military is that of a native speaker

- Russian is one of the most difficult languages in the world, only the Asian languages are harder to learn

- Oswald got about half the answers right on that test, which would've qualified him to be a language analyst.

- people of average intelligence normally need hundreds of lessons to reach that level

- Oswald was not considerably more intelligent than an average person.

Again, how did Oswald learn Russian before ever setting foot in the Soviet Union?   In the Marines, he obtained the same scores in Russian language exams and in English tests.  How?