The Education Forum

Tracking 2766

Gil Jesus

23 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Dang, that really does look like different lettering. The offset 6 is weird too, but it looks to be in the same location in both photos, so I have no clue what’s going on there. 

Again, I’m very on the fence about this in general, and try to stick with highlighting the FBI’s joke of an investigation and the ambiguities in the evidence and leave it at that, but the images you posted gave me a thought - so I’ll speculate for the sake of discussion. There were several rifles in the Feb ‘63 shipment with 3-digit serial numbers. If Crescent shipped Klein’s a 40” rifle with SN C276, alteration of the paperwork would have been a piece of cake - and that would explain the seemingly arbitrary choice of Invoice 3178 to reflect shipment of C2766.

In this scenario, the offset 6 on the rifle would have been added after the fact by whomever obtained C276 from Klein’s to frame Oswald - and Oswald actually recieved the 36” rifle C2766. 

There are a ton of problems with this theory, but one way to get around at least a few of those problems is by assuming that somebody screwed up by planting a 40” rifle in the TSBD. There would have been a full chain-of-possession already in place to Oswald’s actual 36” rifle - possibly even to rifle 2766 if it had a C prefix (2766 did end up in Chicago. Did Aldens ever supply rifles to Klein’s?) - but once it was clear the rifles didn’t match it would have become necessary to link the paperwork to C276 instead, which was imported and supplied by Crescent.

The only thing that would need to be altered on (or just added to) Waldman Exhibit 7 would be the VC control number, which could have happened between the FBI leaving Klein’s and Robert Dolan heading back to get the microfilm. (The VC number was not mentioned in any communication prior to late Saturday afternoon, so it’s at least possible something like this happened.) Then all you’d need to do is add the number 6 to Waldman Exhibit 4, the shipping slips, and the Italian ship inventory list. Problem solved.

This scenario would explain the suspiciously long timeframes to turn up all the shipping-receiving records from Klein’s and especially Crescent, but you’d still have to explain what happened to the 36” rifle, and why it wasn’t just obtained and used in the frame-up. 

None of this works without Waldman being in on it, and I would need a hell of a lot more evidence to really believe it, but the rifle evidence is so jacked-up that I wouldn’t be surprised if something like this really happened.

Just for fun, here’s the index to the withheld in full Chicago FBI file on Waldman from 1953 when Guy Bannister was SAC: 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=92595#relPageId=6

Tom, check this out:

When Klein's asked the FBI to return the microfilm with the C2766 info on it, the FBI sent them a COPY and kept the original:

105-82555-Sec-37-pg.-54.png

Opportunity for a forgery ?

19 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Tom, check this out:

When Klein's asked the FBI to return the microfilm with the C2766 info on it, the FBI sent them a COPY and kept the original:

105-82555-Sec-37-pg.-54.png

Opportunity for a forgery ?

Definitely, but by that point all of the relevant information on the microfilm Hidell sales order had been widely reported for weeks - so I’m not sure. If I recall this request was actually initiated by Waldman, who called and wanted the microfilm back since it contained business information.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=62260#relPageId=88

The biggest thing I’m curious about is the control number VC836, since it wasn’t reported in the 8:01 a.m. Chicago teletype, and if it was on Waldman Exhibit 7 that night the Klein’s search party should have located the receiving records from Crescent immediately. Instead Waldman didn’t “find” those records until ten hours after the FBI left Klein’s, on his own. It’s also interesting IMO that credit for finding Waldman Exhibit 4, the control number listing, was pawned off on Mitchell Scibor, who went on to contradict his own FBI report under oath. There’s also this curious exchange between Scibor and David Belin:

Mr. BELIN. Now, I'm going to hand you what has been marked as Waldman Deposition Exhibit No. 4 and ask you to state if you know what this is. 
Mr. SCIBOR. Yes; it's a copy of our receiving record which we use to identify firearms or guns by assigning a weapon a particular booking number or control number along with the serial number so at a future date we can identify that particular gun. 
Mr. BELIN. Have you ever seen Waldman Deposition Exhibit No. 7 before? 
Mr. SCIBOR. Yes. 

Maybe it’s just a transcription error, or Belin spoke wrong, but who knows?