The Education Forum

Is this the real story of what J. Edgar Hoover was all about?

Note: This was posted today on Facebook by Tom Huston who served in a high position in the Nixon Administration and today remains an avowed Conservative. I first met him at the founding conference of Young Americans for Freedom held in September 1960 at the William F. Buckley family estate in Sharon, Conn. I was elected YAF's National Director at the conference. I started parting ways with the Conservative Movement in the wake of Nixon's resignation when sociopaths and opportunists began to take over the movement and the GOP. They have owned both now for decades. Below is what Huston wrote on Facebook:

I found this interview very interesting. I think Franzese is wrong about the reason J. Edgar Hoover was loathe to go after the Mafia, but his is an interesting take on the subject by a well-placed mobster. Was Hoover compromised by covertly obtained documentation as to his decidedly kinky private life? Perhaps. What is indisputable is that he accepted "gifts" that were fundamentally indistinguishable from those that Ted Agnew accepted, and that he never hesitated to use Bureau resources for his personal benefit. In my view Hoover was corrupt in the predictable manner one would expect of a man who exercised unbridled power and was accountable to no one.

I think it's entirely plausible that the Mafia obtained proof of Hoover's homosexuality and used it to blackmail him into largely ignoring organized crime. If this was not the case, and if he was not bribed, I would be curious to know why Hoover denied the Mafia's existence and did so little to combat it.