The Education Forum

Battle of the Somme

Mark Hone

I have been using the old Tressell 'Attack on the Somme' simulation for several years, latterly in the CD-ROM version published by Gestalt Software. Unfortunately the disk has become 'corrupted', in the jargon, and is now beyond the powers of our school IT technicians to restore. Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy?

I have been using the old Tressell 'Attack on the Somme' simulation for several years, latterly in the CD-ROM version published by Gestalt Software. Unfortunately the disk has become 'corrupted', in the jargon, and is now beyond the powers of our school IT technicians to restore. Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy?

Although I was one of the team at Tressell who designed and produced this software I cannot answer your query. What I can tell you is that Gestalt Software were breaking copyright by publishing Attack on the Somme. Nor did they ever pay us any royalties from the sales of this product. I would be interested if you have an address for this company.

I bought it several years ago-so long ago in fact that I can't even recall how much it cost or in what circumstances I ordered it. It was possibly from a flyer sent to school. It was definitely the same as the Tressel version which I recall seeing when it first came out. A Google search for Gestalt Software yielded nothing relevant. Of course I can't now look at the program itself to see if they acknowledged any copyright.

I bought it several years ago-so long ago in fact that I can't even recall how much it cost or in what circumstances I ordered it. It was possibly from a flyer sent to school. It was definitely the same as the Tressel version which I recall seeing when it first came out. A Google search for Gestalt Software yielded nothing relevant. Of course I can't now look at the program itself to see if they acknowledged any copyright.

The software was also available from a company called NStar Solutions. I purchased it with a licence several years ago. I dealt with a guy called Howard Lush. I see they have now taken it off their online catalogue.

I think you should seriously consider putting it back on the market John. I am sure there would be a big demand from schools

The software was also available from a company called NStar Solutions. I purchased it with a licence several years ago. I dealt with a guy called Howard Lush. I see they have now taken it off their online catalogue.

I think you should seriously consider putting it back on the market John. I am sure there would be a big demand from schools

Have you got a copy that Mark could have?

The problem is that it was originally written for the BBC machine. It would need to be rewritten for PC machines. Anyway, Tressell is no longer in business and is not in a position to republish it. Personally, I have no objection to other companies publishing the program. However, it would have been nice if they asked first.

I've got a copy of this on the network at school. I'll get the technician to hand over the original CD and will get it copied. Assuming out IT dept have done what they're meant to it'll have the contact details attached John - if that is the case I'll PM / e-mail those to you direct. You want a copy of the CD as well?

Have you got a copy that Mark could have?

The problem is that it was originally written for the BBC machine. It would need to be rewritten for PC machines. Anyway, Tressell is no longer in business and is not in a position to republish it. Personally, I have no objection to other companies publishing the program. However, it would have been nice if they asked first.

I have a Windows version of the simulation and will happily make copies with your permission.

I think you are overly generous to the companies who republished your work and sold it on without your knowledge :angry:

I have a Windows version of the simulation and will happily make copies with your permission.

I think you are overly generous to the companies who republished your work and sold it on without your knowledge :up

Please make copy for Mark or anyone else who asks for it. The important thing is that it is used. It was created by my brother and I as revenge for the murder of our grandfather by Haig.