The Education Forum

Maurice Landreth: SOE

Catherine Gates

I am currently trying to research my late fathers activities during the Second World War. All I know is that he served in the British Army in the Intelligence corps, I believe his number may have been 7687820. He never divulged much about his war time role! What particularly interests me is that I know that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre so I am assuming his activities included working for the SOE/French Resistance.... my father never spoke of this! If you can shed any light on what my fathers war time activities were please could you let me know how to continue my research. His name was Maurice Landreth: Born 10/09/1910, died 14/04/1980.

I am afraid that the name Maurice Landreth does not appear in any of my books on the SOE. However, I do not have a copy of M. R. D. Foot’s book, SOE in France (1966) in my library. Have you checked this book? It is the most comprehensive book on the subject that I know.

I have tried to official website on the Croix de Guerre. However, it does not appear to exist. We have some French historians who are members of the Forum. I will ask them if they know how you might trace details of your father's work.