The Education Forum

KLIF

does any one know of the existence of a recording of radio broadcast covering 12.00 to 1.00 nov 22 '63? I have one from KLIF starting a few minutes prior to the motorcade reaching Dealey plaza. I'm interested in the period before this as the motorcade was making its way there. There is one that I have that is described as 'may be an enactement'. Also I am aware of some of the controversy surrounding the dictabelt recording of the DPD. However, in it there is described a bell ringing that some have speculated is a bell that was at the mart. Does anyone know where one can get a recording of this bell sound?

John

further edit I have been trying to locate exactly where the KLIF station was. Also, it moved some time after the assassination to another location , again in Oak Cliff?

also any idea where the (up to 3 hours?) meeting by Jimmy, Ruby, Officer Olson and Kay happened. The deposition by Ruby in the closing days of the WC suggests that the conversation at said meeting could have enforced the idea for Ruby that taking care of Oswald may have been the 'right thing to do'? but : address?

Edited by John Dolva

A friend in the radio business has provided me an 8-hour MP3 of KLIF's broadcast--probably the rebroadcast on RadioONE of a few years ago--of 11/22/1963. It begins with AF1's landing at Love Field, with a pool reporter doing a description at Love Field until the motorcade leaves [i believe I heard the same reporter's description on the WFAA MP3 the same friend also provided me]. and then the KLIF broadcast returns to music and a few old spots, before the first bulletin is broadcast that shots were fired at the presidential motorcade, at around 12:38 pm. There were no prior reports from the motorcade route. By the third bulletin, there is description of a suspect broadcast, a white male, about 30 years old, 5'10", 160 lbs... and a 30-caliber rifle is mentioned as the supposed weapon used. Gordon McLendon, in a later dispatch on KLIF, tells of riding in a Dallas county sheriff's car from the Trade Mart, where he'd been stationed to report, and hearing over the police radio that a Secret Service agent had been shot and killed in Dealy Plaza. Interestingly, as the rest of the world was hearing the words "book depository" or "Texas School Book Depository," McLendon kept referring to the same location as the "Sexton Building," after a previous occupant.

I haven't heard the dictablet recording, so I can't shed any light there.

Hope this is somehow helpful...perhaps the RadioONE site might be of assistance, as I believe they also rebroadcast the WFAA tapes as well as the KLIF material.

Edited by Mark Knight

Mark

OK, I'll check it out, thank you. if it is the long recording that I have then I can't find the sound bites I'm looking for. There is a written description of a 'whoopee' shout competition in the time leading up to the assassination. I've also got a recording of one of the last confederate soldiers giving a rebel yell demonstration. I'm looking to compare the two to see if the rebel yell was known as a whooppee shout in the 50's 60's. KLIF was quite the innovator / leader in radio in USA at the time. Other stations would 'pirate' their broadcast's by ringing a dallas home and getting the owner to place the phone next to a radio tuned to KLIF and then rebroadcast straight from the phone, I'd imagine at the time of the assassination this would have happened. So a recording might exist in Alaska for all I know. The breakdown in phone communication though might have made this difficult.

I have a recording of the hour chime from KLIF and would like to compare it to the 'liberty bell' sound.

John