The Education Forum

webquests

Mr Lyndon

I looked at the Dictator Webquest page.

Point number one. I commend you on putting in this work and that alone will be appreciated by your students.

Point #2. Lose the background pattern. While topical, it detracts from being able to follow the instructions and kids don't need ANY help in that area.

I teach 11th and 12th graders at a private high school and I would not use this particular webquest because I don't think it is up to grade level and I do not want to go through the grading nightmare of group projects.

If your students are nearing college age I would suggest using a link to a more general link page for each figure.

I would also offer that the last area you have them looking into will likely create problems because it is fairly vague.

Dangerous activities that they have been involved in

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great, and a great idea. Just thought you might be looking for more critical assessment than patting on the back.

I agree about the background. I much prefer a light, plain background. It should also be a colour that allows the blue hyperlinks to stand out.

You also have to be very careful about creating webquests based on other people’s websites. A large percentage of websites do not continue for a long period of time. For example, you have a link to a Titantic webquest. That was created eight years ago (part of a teacher’s MA) and many of the links no longer work. It is therefore always worth checking out with the person who has produced the content that they intend to keep the website online.