The Education Forum

Wrong name - a clarification

John Dolva

I have become aware that I may have named the 'some more coincidences' topic incorrectly. A few posts on other topics indicates to me that perhaps members are assuming correctly , based on a proper definition of the term 'coincidence theory', that the definition given below is the one that motivates me in this case. However, I am not motivated in this way at all.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Coincidence+theory

"Funnily enough it is complicated by me being a self proclaimed skeptic with a somewhat acidic bent, which by the definition below

The term coincidence theory is used by skeptics who claim that people who dismiss claims of conspiracies are relying on too many coincidences.

Skeptics argue that coincidence theory explains a complex or controversial historical event by oversimplifying the fallacy of the single cause, also known as joint effect or causal oversimplification, is a logical fallacy of causation that occurs when it is assumed that there is one, simple cause of an outcome when in reality it may have been caused by a number of only jointly sufficient causes.

Such theories, they claim, hold any suspicious loose ends or mysteries not explained by the theory to be the result of coincidence. Coincidence literally describes two or more events or entities occupying the same point in space or time, but colloquially means two or more events or entities possessing unexpected parallels, such as thinking about someone and then receiving an unexpected phone call from that person, when it is clear that there is no ordinary causal connection.

Accordingly, skeptics (especially those who value explanations based on conspiracies), argue that coincidence theory is often disseminated by means of propaganda. Propaganda is a specific type of message presentation aimed at serving an agenda. At its root, the denotation of propaganda is 'to propagate (actively spread) a philosophy or point of view'. The most common use of the term (historically) is in political contexts; in particular to refer to certain efforts sponsored by governments or political groups.

..... especially when the theory is created by or in support of social or economic interests which have the means for effective media manipulation The process of media manipulation is the way in which individuals or groups use various tricks in dealing with the media in order to create an image of their side of an argument that is most favorable to the receiver.

Such tricks are based on the use of logical fallacies and propaganda techniques, and are often used by suppressing information or points of view by crowding them out, by inducing other people or groups of people to stop listening to certain arguments, or simply by drawing their attention elsewhere.

-Such theories, they claim, are often employed by parties in order to offer a plausible alternative explanation for a historical event that told otherwise would damage that party's credibility Credibility is the believability of a statement, action, or source, and the ability of the observer to believe the above.

-Common terms include cred, street cred, and indie credibility. The last of which is crucial for an independent band to be critically well received. For example, many critics, such as Stephen Thomas Erlewine in his lengthy review, decried Liz Phair's loss of credibility after the release of her eponymous album, featuring co-production and co-songwriting by teenpop producers The Matrix as well as indie-credible Pete Yorn and Michael Penn.

- or public image Public relations (PR) is the means and industry of influencing public opinion towards an organization and its products or services. Public relations clients include political parties, ruling or otherwise. PR is distinct from advertising as it is generally not aimed at selling a particular product from a particular business, and, for further comparison, propaganda, sometimes carried out for political purposes by governments.

- , or would establish that party's guilt Guilt is a word describing many concepts related to a negative emotion or condition caused by actions which are, or are believed to be, morally wrong.

In psychology and ordinary language, guilt is simply a negative affective state in which one experiences regret at having done something one believes one should not have done.

- A crime in a broad sense is an act that violates a political or moral law. In the narrow sense, a crime is a violation of the criminal law. For example, most traffic violations or breaches of contract are not crimes in a legal sense.

(disambiguation).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-A scandal is a widely publicized incident involving allegations of wrong-doing, disgrace, or moral outrage. A scandal may be based on reality, or the product of false allegations, or a mixture of both.

-Coincidence theories, according to skeptics, are often calculated to exploit the perceived gullibility and ignorance.

-Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, or a willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions. Ignorance is also a "state of being ignorant" or unaware/uninformed. Ex: In debate class Bill lost the debate because he was ignorant in that subject. (not knowing).

- Communication is the process of information usually via a common system of symbols. "Communication studies" is the academic discipline focused on communication forms, processes and meanings, including speech, interpersonal and organizational communication. "Mass communication" is a more specialized academic discipline focused on the institutions, practice and effects of journalism, broadcasting, advertising, public relations and related mediated communication directed at a large, undifferentiated or segmented audience.

- They can make use of many propaganda tactics Tactics is the collective name for methods of winning a small-scale conflict, performing an optimization, etc. This applies specifically to warfare, but also to economics, trade, games and a host of other fields such as negotiation.

Tactics and strategy are often confused.

Tactics are the actual means used to gain a goal.

Strategy is the overall plan.

Critics of the skeptical approach argue the term "coincidence theory" is employed by "conspiracy theorists" as a way to justify a conspiracisy. "Conspiracism" is a term used by some political writers, such as Chip Berlet, Michael Kelly, and Frank P. Mintz, to refer to adherents of conspiracy theories and their perceived beliefs. The term suggests characterizations of paranoia and irrationality.

According to Frank P. Mintz, conspiracism denotes: "belief in the primacy of conspiracies in the unfolding of history approach to explaining historic events. The term coincidence theory is a pun A pun (also known as paronomasia)

-is a figure of speech which consists of a deliberate confusion of similar words or phrases for rhetorical effect, whether humorous or serious. A pun can rely on the assumed equivalency of multiple similar words (homonymy), of different shades of meaning of one word (polysemy), or of a literal meaning with a metaphor.

- "Conspiracy theory conspiracy theory is a theory that claims an event or series of events is the result of secret manipulations by two or more individuals or an organization, rather than the result of a single perpetrator or natural occurrence, or that there is a conspiracy to cover up the true story by the government or media.

- " which skeptics argue is a pejorative A word or phrase is a pejorative (occasionally misspelled perjorative) if it expresses contempt or disapproval. The adjective pejorative is synonymous with derogatory and dyslogistic (noun: dyslogism) (antonyms: meliorative, eulogistic, noun eulogism)."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Coincidence definition:

co·in·ci·dence (k-ns-dns, -dns)

n.

1. The state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space.

2. A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The way I see this is that for reasons perhaps not so clear, a large slab of history is simply ignored. The various posts on causes behind the assassination almost all never mention 'civil rights', and if it is mentioned it is usually dismissed with one or two stock sentences which are easily refuted, or credibly cast into doubt.

This seems to me a situation that needs to be rebalanced in order to have a full understanding of the 50s 60s period which is essential in understanding the assassination. I've taken it upon myself to address this imbalance. Should anyone credibly dissuade me from persuing this I would happily drop it. Until then I will continue.

The 'some more coincidences' topic is a place where I log anything I come across that seem to address the issue. Over time names and events repeat themselves. Previously unknown events appear.

The interesting thing to me is that through this oblique approach to the assassination I am coming up with a similar set of characters as others have, the difference being using a different set of sources. This to me is sufficient grounds for taking this seriously. Once I can think of a more appropriate name I will summarise and shift the topic into that heading.

Edited by John Dolva

Guest Stephen Turner

John, your work is never less than interesting, and the different methodology you use helps broaden our understanding of these events. please continue. Steve.

John, I recall an anecdote about a substitute teacher in a class of first grade students. The teacher asked the students to identify a particular color of a crayon. Most said "brown," and a few answered "tan."

But the most memorable response was from the student who said "whole-wheat toast."

As the response from this child was based upon a somewhat different frame of reference than the other children, so too are your queries and responses in regards to the JFK assassination. While your different approach may be unsettling to some, I find it to be of great interest in the quest for the truth.

So keep the "whole-wheat toast" coming.