The Education Forum

Charles Kennedy

John Simkin

Being away on holiday I have not been able to keep up to date on this story. However, it certainly deserves a thread. I saw the Charles Kennedy admission that he had a drink problem. No one appeared to point out that he has been lying about this since he was first asked about it five years ago. So it seems have leading members of the party who forced him to seek treatment for this problem 18 months ago. His admission that he had been lying were good enough grounds for him to resign. His attempts to hold onto power have been pathetic and he will have to go (probably by Monday). His behaviour has shown that fellow members of the party were right to call on him to resign.

I suspect that if Ming Cambell is elected unopposed the damage to the Liberal Democrats will be limited. They will then be in a good position to take advantage when the Tories split over Cameron´s move to the left. Or can right-wing Tories keep quiet until after the next election?

I suspect that if Ming Cambell is elected unopposed the damage to the Liberal Democrats will be limited. They will then be in a good position to take advantage when the Tories split over Cameron´s move to the left. Or can right-wing Tories keep quiet until after the next election?

Might I suggest a slight clarification, as Cameron's apparent move to the left. The rhetoric sounds more left wing than the detail. It would be worrying if people felt there was clear red water between Cameron and Blair in that direction... And no I haven't a Damascene Revelation about Blair recently, he's still a s***e. :P

On Friday Kennedy was claiming that his drinking problem was "largely resolved". This would suggest that he is still very much in denial.

I would have had more sympathy for his predictament if he had told his interogators to mind their own bloody business rather than lie about his drinking for so long.

Guest Stephen Turner
On Friday Kennedy was claiming that his drinking problem was "largely resolved". This would suggest that he is still very much in denial.

I would have had more sympathy for his predictament if he had told his interogators to mind their own bloody business rather than lie about his drinking for so long.

His cure seems to consist of, talking with his GP, and taking vitamin C, If this is the totallity of it he is still very much in denial. The problem with repressing the addictive behaviour, rather than resolving it is one of a cronic depressive/anxiety state, ultimately leading the sufferer back to temporary resolution of symptoms by intoxication..

There is an element of hypocrisy in the condemnation of Kennedy. Half of the politicians have a drink problem - rather more after lunch. And the journalists, roughly twice the proportion I would guess.

His politics are despicable. He opposed the war right up to the point that it started and then did a 180 turn.

Churchill managed to hold down a responsible job or two and talked openly about his drinking habits.

Charles Kennedy lied. Tony Blair lied and thousands died. Kennedy's disingenuous mendacity is mild by comparison