The Education Forum

Schemes of Work

This DfES Schemes of Work website has a brand new look. As well as updating the original design that had been in service since 1999, the DfES have reorganised the content and improved the way you move around the units and supporting information. Three new sections have been introduced as well: information on planning how to use the schemes; examples of adaptations teachers have made to unit to better suit their particular teaching needs; and information on combining units practically.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes3/

This DfES Schemes of Work website has a brand new look.

It looks better on screen, and thank goodness that the DfES website - unlike some other government and government agency websites - allows you to download and print a whole unit.

As Andrew Moore has argued in another strand in this Forum, teachers need to get an overview of a larger chunk of information than that which can be contained on a single screen. As I have argued in the same strand, reading from the screen is around 25%-30% slower than reading from the printed page - which is borne out by research conducted by Web guru Jakob Nielsen and other independent researchers. It seems that the DfES is beginning to understand what teachers need...

• 1 month later...

I have used the DfES website on numerous occasions but find that it is often very difficult to navigate around. Regularly, on entering a search topic or phrase, you end up being sent round in circles! Some parts, I agree, are useful but others can be a nightmare - certainly not what I would call 'user friendly'. With time so limited during a teaching day this can be more than little frustrating!

I am pleased that some work is being done to improve things - after all, it must cost a fortune in taxpayers money to maintain! :lol: