The Education Forum

Teaching and Learning Policy

I have been teaching for 26 years, one term and five weeks.

This morning I found in my pigeon hole a document entitled "Teaching and Learning policy". At last!

Consult your National Strategy Derek and you will also learn that a lesson must have a beginning, a middle, and an end :lol:

Good point Andy, I'd never thought of that.

There is nothing the matter with the policy, it is all a little obvious. What is the matter is that the time spent writing it could have been more usefully employed.

I have been involved in writing policy documents myself and the five of us who spent five hours writing the document could have produced twenty five or fifty useful worksheets, marked several hundred books or gone shopping.

• 2 months later...

Tis the same the whole world over! Our new Minister has just announced a 6 months taskforce into "improving" (ie changing) our newish reporting system. What did it take to get it? Two years of telling our DoE they were rubbish. Two years of writing to papers, dozens of useless meetings, political lobbying, parent lobbying, surveys etc etc. Because it was the previous Minister's "baby", nothing was done. Now, with a new Minister keen to make his mark, suddenly it's all possible and surprise, surprise, we were apparently right all along. The money involved would have paid for several extra teachers.