The Education Forum

Australia and the World Cup

John Simkin

What do your Australians think about your chances in the World Cup?

Let me put it this way, John. The aussie goalkeeper will have an intensive course of back strengthening exercises before the Brazil match so he won't be injured retrieving the ball from the back of the net.

Let me put it this way, John. The aussie goalkeeper will have an intensive course of back strengthening exercises before the Brazil match so he won't be injured retrieving the ball from the back of the net.

My experience of Australia and Australians is that of an entire nation obsessed with sporting achievement. I will therefore be surprised if Australia does not do well in the World Cup... they will at least perform 'better than expected'.

The modesty Mark appears to be revealing leads me to suspect that he was actually born in New Zealand :rolleyes:

My experience of Australia and Australians is that of an entire nation obsessed with sporting achievement. I will therefore be surprised if Australia does not do well in the World Cup... they will at least perform 'better than expected'.

The modesty Mark appears to be revealing leads me to suspect that he was actually born in New Zealand :ph34r:

New Zillind? Tikit izzy, bro.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back from a 1-0 halftime deficit to win 3-1 is a great win by any standards. From the moment Supercoach Guus replaced Bresciano with Tim Cahill, Australia's attack looked far more dangerous. Then bringing on Aloisi further bolstered our attack.

Japan was let down by its attack more than by its defence, IMO. They had several opportunities in the second half to go 2-0 up but poor crosses or weak finishing prevented them from capitalising on these chances. Had Japan gone two up it might have broken the Aussies' spirit, but instead they didn't go hard enough for the second goal and seemed happy to sit on a one goal lead. Big mistake.

Aussie you was mugged, Bad way to go out of the World Cup.

That's football.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Australia dominate the second half, although Italy were a man down. Italy's defensive capabilities are renown but their failure to create more opportunities in attack indicates they will struggle against creative attacks like those of Brazil, Spain and Argentina. I doubt Italy can win the tournamant but they only have to get past Ukraine to make the semis, so they might go a bit further. Ukraine's attack seems to depend solely on the 80 million dollar man, so Italy might successfully blot him out. I can't see Italy defeating a team that has five or six elite players who can fire cannonball shots from medium or long range. Italy don't have the attacking power to reply in kind.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

Aussie you was mugged, Bad way to go out of the World Cup.

That's football.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Australia dominate the second half, although Italy were a man down. Italy's defensive capabilities are renown but their failure to create more opportunities in attack indicates they will struggle against creative attacks like those of Brazil, Spain and Argentina. I doubt Italy can win the tournamant but they only have to get past Ukraine to make the semis, so they might go a bit further. Ukraine's attack seems to depend solely on the 80 million dollar man, so Italy might successfully blot him out. I can't see Italy defeating a team that has five or six elite players who can fire cannonball shots from medium or long range. Italy don't have the attacking power to reply in kind.

I saw the game in an Italian bar. Most of those I spoke to agreed that Italy was very lucky with the penalty decision. However, Lucas Neill made it easy for the Italian by going to ground. (He does that too often for Blackburn). You are definitely going in the right direction and could be serious contenders in 2010.