The Education Forum

H. Ross Perot

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

Was Perot a very public person in 1963? I know he started a public company the year before but was he known to be a vocal espouser of any particular political line of thinking?

MV

Was Perot a very public person in 1963? I know he started a public company the year before but was he known to be a vocal espouser of any particular political line of thinking?

MV

No. He did not enter business until 1962, according to his bio:

Biography of Ross Perot

Ross Perot was born June 27, 1930, in Texarkana, Texas. His parents, Ross and Lulu May Perot, were major influences in the lives of Mr. Perot and his sister, Bette. Although the family was of modest circumstances, Mr. Perot has often said he was born rich, because of his parents' love, support and encouragement.

Starting at age seven, and throughout his childhood, Mr. Perot held various jobs, including breaking horses; selling Christmas cards, magazines, and garden seeds; buying and selling bridles, saddles, horses and calves. He also delivered newspapers and collected for classified advertising sales.

Mr. Perot joined the Boy Scouts of America and became an Eagle Scout in fifteen months.

Mr. Perot attended public schools in Texarkana, as well as Texarkana Junior College, where he was President of the Student Council. At age 19, he entered the U.S. Naval Academy where he served as Class President, Chairman of the Honor Committee and Battalion Commander. He was chosen as one of the outstanding leaders at the Naval Academy and received the National College Award for Leadership. After graduating in 1953, he served four years at sea on a Destroyer and on an Aircraft Carrier. His first cruise on the Destroyer took him around the world through 17 seas and oceans, and 23 foreign countries.

He met Margot Birmingham of Greensburg, Pennsylvania in 1952, while he was at the Naval Academy. They married in 1956 and, after Mr. Perot's honorable discharge from the Navy in 1957, settled in Dallas. Mrs. Perot taught school, and he joined IBM as a salesman in the Data Processing Division.

In 1962, with a $1,000 loan from his wife, Mr. Perot started Electronic Data Systems (EDS). Over the next 22 years he built EDS into one of the world's largest technology services firms. In 1984, he sold EDS to General Motors for $2.5 billion.

In 1988, he founded a new technology services company, Perot Systems Corporation. He served as Chief Executive Officer until 1992 and again from 1997 until 2000, helping to take the company public in 1999. Mr. Perot served as Chairman of the Board until 2004, when he was elected Chairman Emeritus.

In 1992, Mr. Perot ran for President of the United States as an Independent candidate, winning 19% of the vote, one of the largest percentages ever for an Independent. He ran again in 1996 on the Reform Party ticket.

In addition to his successful business career, Mr. Perot has been involved in a number of public activities. In 1969, at the request of the U.S. government, he spearheaded a three and a half-year campaign to end the brutal treatment U.S. POW's received from their Southeast Asian captors. In recognition of his efforts, Mr. Perot was awarded the Medal for Distinguished Public Service, the highest civilian award presented by the Department of Defense.

When two EDS employees were taken hostage by the Iranian government in 1979, Mr. Perot organized and directed a successful rescue mission, composed of EDS employees (Vietnam veterans) and led by retired Special Forces Colonel Arthur "Bull" Simons. Noted author Ken Follett, in his book On Wings of Eagles, which NBC later made into a mini-series, told the story of this daring rescue. The book was #1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

Mr. Perot has also been active in public policy issues in his home state of Texas. In 1979, at the request of Governor William Clements, he led the Texans' War on Drugs Committee that proposed five laws to make Texas the least desirable state for illegal drug activity. All five bills were passed into law.

In 1984, Governor Mark White asked Mr. Perot to lead the effort to reform the public school system in Texas, which resulted in major legislative changes and long-lasting improvements in public education.

The Perots, married for 48 years, have five children - Ross, Jr., Nancy, Suzanne, Carolyn and Katherine. They also have 15 grandchildren.

The Perot family is actively involved in a variety of charitable and civic activities. Through the Perot Foundation, they have contributed over $200 million to many worthwhile causes.

Mr. Perot has received numerous awards and honors, including:

The Winston Churchill Award. Mr. Perot was the third recipient and the only businessman to receive this award, given to those who best exemplify the imagination, boldness, and vigor of the late British Prime minister. Prince Charles and First Lady Nancy Reagan made the presentation in 1986.

The Raoul Wallenberg Award. As the first recipient of this award, Mr. Perot was honored for a lifetime of service that embodies the spirit, courage, and dedication of Raoul Wallenberg, the Swedish diplomat who saved more than 100,000 Hungarian Jews from the Nazis during World War II.

The Jefferson Award for Public Service.

The Patrick Henry Award. Mr. Perot was the first recipient of this award given to an American for outstanding service to his country.

The National Business Hall of Fame Award.

The Sarnoff Award. For contributions to the electronics industry.

The Eisenhower Award. For support of our Armed Forces.

The Smithsonian Computerworld Award. As the first recipient of this award, Mr. Perot was recognized for his contributions to the computer industry.

The Horatio Alger Award. This award is presented to individuals who overcome obstacles to achieve significant success in their careers.

The Texas Business Hall of Fame Award - 1986

The Texas Science Hall of Fame Award - 2001

2004 Eisenhower Award presented by Business Executives for National Security

Distinguished Business Leader Award presented by Texas Association of Business - 2004

2004 - Mr. Perot was chosen as one of History's Ten Greatest Entrepreneurs, going all the way back to the 5th Century

Mr. Perot is the author of seven books on a variety of subjects: United We Stand; Not for Sale at Any Price; Save Your Job, Save Our Country (co-authored with Pat Choate); Intensive Care; Preparing Our Country For the 21st Century; The Dollar Crisis (co-authored with Senator Paul Simon); and Ross Perot, My Life & The Principles for Success.

In 1984, Mr. Perot purchased the only copy of the Magna Carta that has been allowed to leave Great Britain. It has been placed on loan to the National Archives in Washington, D.C., where it is displayed alongside the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Mr. Perot purchased many historical artifacts from the Russian space program in 1993. They are on display at the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institute in an exhibit called "The Space Race."

Guest Mark Valenti

MV

I think it was in 1969 he tried a hostile takeover of Collins Radio, which was heavily connected to the CIA. I wasn't sure if he had made a public splash yet or if he was operating under the radar.

MV

Jack you misunderstood the question

MV

I understood the question. Until 1962 Perot was just a local

IBM salesman. Few except customers had ever heard of him.

Nobody cared what he thought about anything. He was not

rich nor influential, and not involved in politics. He was a

longtime military man, so was very patriotic, but beyond that

little is known about any political beliefs. His presidential run

showed that he was FED UP WITH POLITICAL PARTIES AS

THEY EXIST, so he started an INDEPENDENT party. I voted

for him because he was the only sensible voice in the election.

I do recall that he was very anti-Bush. And as I recall he

got about a third of the vote and decided the outcome.

Please quit telling me what I understand and do not understand.

Jack

MV

I understood the question. Until 1962 Perot was just a local

IBM salesman. Few except customers had ever heard of him.

Nobody cared what he thought about anything. He was not

rich nor influential, and not involved in politics. He was a

longtime military man, so was very patriotic, but beyond that

little is known about any political beliefs. His presidential run

showed that he was FED UP WITH POLITICAL PARTIES AS

THEY EXIST, so he started an INDEPENDENT party. I voted

for him because he was the only sensible voice in the election.

I do recall that he was very anti-Bush. And as I recall he

got about a third of the vote and decided the outcome.

Please quit telling me what I understand and do not understand.

Jack

Good Lord, facts are stubborn and inconvenient. Perot did not come close to "a third of the vote"; he received about 19%, as documented here: http://www.answers.com/topic/united-states...l-election-1992. And he was a complete non-factor in the outcome, making the difference in no state. Clinton won in the Electoral College going away.

Bad memory. I should have checked. Suffice it to say that he

siphoned off enough votes from Bush that Clinton won.

I had in mind 20 percent. I do not know why I wrote a third...

I guess because there were three candidates. In my opinion,

he won the dabates because he talked common sense.

We need more like him.

My mistake. Memory is not always foolproof.

Jack

PS...also based on memory, the Electoral College system

accounted for Clinton "winning". Without it, and no majority

for any candidate, the election would have been thrown into

the House of Representatives...where Bush probably would

have prevailed. Correct me if my memory is wrong again.

Edited by Jack White