The Education Forum

A Video about Dying

John Simkin

This has nothing to do with the death of JFK. However, it tells us a great deal about the process of dying.

Mark Romanek was so deeply affected by Johnny Cash's version of Trent Reznor's "Hurt", he offered to shoot the video for free. Upon doing so, he sent the video to Trent Reznor. Reznor was in session with Zach de la Rocha (of Rage Against the Machine fame) at the time, and they were reportedly so awestruck emotionally that they had to leave the room and recuperate, Reznor himself being moved to tears. The video itself features footage of a decrepit Cash at the flood-ravaged House of Cash Museum interspersed with footage from Cash's personal collection of himself in his youth.

Mark Romanek is also the director of the very good film, One Hour Photo.

Click the link below to see this masterpiece of a video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2498982473010416253

This has nothing to do with the death of JFK. However, it tells us a great deal about the process of dying.

Mark Romanek was so deeply affected by Johnny Cash's version of Trent Reznor's "Hurt", he offered to shoot the video for free. Upon doing so, he sent the video to Trent Reznor. Reznor was in session with Zach de la Rocha (of Rage Against the Machine fame) at the time, and they were reportedly so awestruck emotionally that they had to leave the room and recuperate, Reznor himself being moved to tears. The video itself features footage of a decrepit Cash at the flood-ravaged House of Cash Museum interspersed with footage from Cash's personal collection of himself in his youth.

Thank you John. This is easily the most touching music video I've ever seen.

It retains its power no matter how many times I watch it.

I've been catching this on both PBS channels out here, KCET and KLCS, for the past year, and I can't help but feel remorse at what the passage of time, in this case 40 years, can wreak upon the human body. It's also quite revealing how the illness of a spouse, in this case June Carter Cash, and their subsequent demise can tend to accellerate the failing health of the one left behind. I don't believe they were all that old at the time, either. Or, maybe it's just my own tendency to remember them as they were, as a family, on their televised Christmas Specials, and in the PBS American Masters biographies of their lives. They seemingly become frozen in time. And, in the words of Bob Dylan, "Forever Young."

"May God bless and keep you always

May your wishes all come true

May you always do for others

And let others do for you

May you build a ladder to the stars

And climb on every rung

And may you stay forever young

May you stay forever young..."

"at the flood-ravaged House of Cash Museum"

John, do you know off-hand, which flood it was that destroyed the museum?

Thanks,

Ter

Edited by Terry Mauro