The Education Forum

More Song Lyrics--"House Gone Up In Flames"

"It's in the grain of the wood. / It's in the needle's rust. / It's in the eagle's claw. / It's in the eyes you trust. / It's in the jackal's dreams. / It's in the sleet and the hail. / It's in the unmarked box that came today in the mail. / It's in the dead man's pocket. / It's in the child's first sin. / It's in the Constitution written in very small print. / It's in Colin Powell's lies. / It's in the shaman's trance. / It's in the cellar waiting, and it's in the best-laid plans. / Now, we could cut and run, take half the blame. / Don't stop now. That's why we came. / House gone up in flames. / It's in the national anthem. / It's in the scurrying roach. / It's in the closed partition between first class and coach. / It's in the relentless fever. / It's in the lonely room. / It's in the hands of fate. / It's in the pharaoh's tomb. / It's in the rich man's dreams. / It's in the poor man's hands. / It's in the body bags along the Rio Grande. / It's in the evening shade. / It's on the zealot's tongue. / It's in the widow's tears. / It's in the miner's lungs. / Now, we could cut and run, take half the blame. / Now, don't stop now. That's why we came. / House gone up in flames. / It's in the moon's dark spin. / It's in the cloudless sky. / It's in St. Peter's denial that he'd thrice deny. / It's in the distant thunder. / It's in the whispered prayer / that they won't find us hidden here beneath the stairs. / So consider yourself lucky, and watch what you say. / I got what I wanted, and you might get the same. / It's in bold print nailed to the cathedral door. / It's in the black, cold pressure on the ocean floor. / Now, we could cut and run, take half the blame. / Don't stop now. That's why we came. / Oh, Lord, house gone up in flames.”

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/about.aspx?id=13328

Great interview here. I didn't know that John Lennon's song "Imagine" was banned from Clear Channel after 911. Typical. Kill the person then erase them from history.

Also some great quotes about their (Rage Against the Machine's) infamous trip to Mexico, where there's no first amendment...

"We were gonna speak out, regardless of the consequences. At the end of the day, you've got to look at yourself in the mirror and be able to say, "Today, to the best of my ability, I did the right thing." So even though the, the, the Mexican military had said — we were in support of the Zapatistas and their struggle for indigenous rights and the rights of Mexican workers. And they said, "Whatever you do, you may not mention the Zapatistas during the concert. You do not enjoy free speech rights here, and you must not do it, or we'll shut down the show." So, we had Subcomandante Marcos, one of the Zapatista leaders, introduce the band after giving sort of a very powerful speech to the, to the crowd there..."

Profiles in courage, eh?

"I think, at the end of the day, I think the most important thing, whether it's in your home, whether it's in your place of work, your community, your country, or what you see going on in the world, is to have the courage to stand up for what you believe in, because the, the powers that be want you to be cowed into submission. They want you to sit alone, you know, watching your 5,000 channels of cable TV and to feel that you're isolated. One of the most important things that music can do is make people feel that they're not isolated."

This forum has a similar effect.

"It's in the grain of the wood. / It's in the needle's rust. / It's in the eagle's claw. / It's in the eyes you trust. / It's in the jackal's dreams. / It's in the sleet and the hail. / It's in the unmarked box that came today in the mail. / It's in the dead man's pocket. / It's in the child's first sin. / It's in the Constitution written in very small print. / It's in Colin Powell's lies. / It's in the shaman's trance. / It's in the cellar waiting, and it's in the best-laid plans. / Now, we could cut and run, take half the blame. / Don't stop now. That's why we came. / House gone up in flames. / It's in the national anthem. / It's in the scurrying roach. / It's in the closed partition between first class and coach. / It's in the relentless fever. / It's in the lonely room. / It's in the hands of fate. / It's in the pharaoh's tomb. / It's in the rich man's dreams. / It's in the poor man's hands. / It's in the body bags along the Rio Grande. / It's in the evening shade. / It's on the zealot's tongue. / It's in the widow's tears. / It's in the miner's lungs. / Now, we could cut and run, take half the blame. / Now, don't stop now. That's why we came. / House gone up in flames. / It's in the moon's dark spin. / It's in the cloudless sky. / It's in St. Peter's denial that he'd thrice deny. / It's in the distant thunder. / It's in the whispered prayer / that they won't find us hidden here beneath the stairs. / So consider yourself lucky, and watch what you say. / I got what I wanted, and you might get the same. / It's in bold print nailed to the cathedral door. / It's in the black, cold pressure on the ocean floor. / Now, we could cut and run, take half the blame. / Don't stop now. That's why we came. / Oh, Lord, house gone up in flames.”

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/about.aspx?id=13328

Great interview here. I didn't know that John Lennon's song "Imagine" was banned from Clear Channel after 911. Typical. Kill the person then erase them from history.

Also some great quotes about their (Rage Against the Machine's) infamous trip to Mexico, where there's no first amendment...

"We were gonna speak out, regardless of the consequences. At the end of the day, you've got to look at yourself in the mirror and be able to say, "Today, to the best of my ability, I did the right thing." So even though the, the, the Mexican military had said — we were in support of the Zapatistas and their struggle for indigenous rights and the rights of Mexican workers. And they said, "Whatever you do, you may not mention the Zapatistas during the concert. You do not enjoy free speech rights here, and you must not do it, or we'll shut down the show." So, we had Subcomandante Marcos, one of the Zapatista leaders, introduce the band after giving sort of a very powerful speech to the, to the crowd there..."

Profiles in courage, eh?

"I think, at the end of the day, I think the most important thing, whether it's in your home, whether it's in your place of work, your community, your country, or what you see going on in the world, is to have the courage to stand up for what you believe in, because the, the powers that be want you to be cowed into submission. They want you to sit alone, you know, watching your 5,000 channels of cable TV and to feel that you're isolated. One of the most important things that music can do is make people feel that they're not isolated."

This forum has a similar effect.

:up