The Education Forum

George Bernau Promises to Keep

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

I recently came across this book by George Bernau called Promises to Keep which is based on the

idea that President Kennedy survived the assassination attempt. I include the following

short review from Amazon.

Has anyone else in the forum read or heard of this book?

"Adding to the numerous fiction books that have explored the assassination of John F. Kennedy notably Don DeLillo's literary thriller, Libra Bernau's debut novel is a solid, often touching thriller with the familiar characters only thinly disguised. The theme here is the wishful premise: "He didn't die in Dallas." America is thrown into turmoil when charismatic President John Trewlawny Cassidy is shot, but not killed, while riding in a motorcade with his chic wife, Suzanne. As Cassidy starts down the long road to recovery, Vice - President Rance Gardner, a long-faced, ambitious Texan, is elbowing his way toward the top and struggling to run the country. Meantime, Strode, the would-be assassin, is murdered while in custody of the Dallas police. Despite pressure from highly placed sources to drop the case, a young FBI agent who traces Strode's trail backward finds the path littered with corpses and all leads pointing to a massive government conspiracy that even President Cassidy would prefer not to expose. Bernau accurately paints recognizable characters jousting for political power, as well as the tiny domestic details that make up the private lives of such public figures. Sharp-edged cutting between these players and a host of dangerous, shadowy conspirators keeps the tension running high."

EBC

Edited by Eugene B. Connolly

Yes, Eugene, I have it (secondhand bookshop) and in between other reads am slowly reading it. It's pretty hefty and I haven't read enough to say anything about it. If I do end up having a comment on it I'll post.

Guest Eugene B. Connolly
Yes, Eugene, I have it (secondhand bookshop) and in between other reads am slowly reading it. It's pretty hefty and I haven't read enough to say anything about it. If I do end up having a comment on it I'll post.

Thanks for reply, John.

I too am currently reading it. To be honest I find it a bit heavy. The name changes are difficult to handle.

I find myself having to refer back to check who exactly a particular character is

supposed to be in real life.

If one accepts the premise that it is unashamed fiction - which, of course, it is - I feel

it would have been a better read if George Bernau had used the real names of all those involved.

Eugene

Edited by Eugene B. Connolly