The Education Forum

Sen. Thomas Eagleton Dies

I remember when he was named as the Vice President candidate to McGovern. A reporter got him on the air and asked him how it feels to be the possible next Vice President. Eagleton answered, to the effect, "I'm usually more nervous than I am now." He was sweating. I remember thinking his answer was weird. Then they found out Eagalton had underwent shock treatments for depression, and they might have added he was a manic-depressive. That was the end of him on a national level. And McGovern lost big time.

Just a memory.

Kathy

At the same time the shock treatment stories broke, Jack Anderson also broke false reports of Eagleton's "drunk driving" record. The media went wild and demanded McGovern dump Eagleton . Later this same media was critical of McGovern for dumping his first vp choice.

Dawn

At the same time the shock treatment stories broke, Jack Anderson also broke false reports of Eagleton's "drunk driving" record. The media went wild and demanded McGovern dump Eagleton . Later this same media was critical of McGovern for dumping his first vp choice.

Dawn