The Education Forum

Making Postings

I have had a few emails from people having difficulty making postings.

After registering it will take another 15 minutes for you to be able to make postings.

If you want to contribute to a discussion that has already started, click “ADD REPLY” (bottom of the page). A box will come up where you can post your message. When you have done that scroll down and click “Add Reply”.

If you want to start a new thread. Go to the appropriate section and select the option “NEW TOPIC” (at top on right-hand side). Then it is the same as for replying to the comments of other members.

I have had a few emails from people having difficulty making postings.

After registering it will take another 15 minutes for you to be able to make postings.

New members, once they have registered, must also click on the hyperlink attached to their "welcome" e-mail to verify their e-mail address. If new members don't do this then their ability to post will be delayed until one of the admin team verifies them manually.

Guest ChristineS

It is not immediately obvious to me, if I wanted to offer a resource that I could attach, such as a word document or a powerpoint presentation, how I could do it.

Is it possible and how would we do such things?

Is it also possible for there to be a bank of some sort of resources that have been given rather than leave them as attachments to threads that have to be trawled through each time?

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

I could set this facility up in the future if there was a demand for it :)

Those who would like the ability to attach documents/presentations etc. please post here!

Having been involved in moderating a forum once before (now defunct, I'm afraid), I would exercise a word of caution in setting up a resource bank. Many of the resources that were posted by teachers to the forum that I moderated were clearly in breach in copyright and I therefore had to reject them. Some of the resources posted were PowerPoint presentations that contained images and texts that were clearly lifted from other sources. Once you make such materials available on a public website you are in effect disseminating them, which requires permission from the copyright owners - subject to certain and not necessarily automatic concessions for education - regardless of whether you charge for such materials or offer them for free. I asked all teachers posting materials to the forum to endorse a form containing the following statement:

"Guarantee of originality: The Author warrants that the Work is an original composition and that it in no way infringes any existing copyright either in whole or in part and that it contains no material which may be considered libellous or defamatory. The Author shall indemnify the Publisher against all actions, proceedings, claims and demands made against the Publisher by reason of anything contained within the Work constituting an infringement of copyright or being libellous or defamatory and against all costs, damages or expenses in respect of such action, proceeding, claim or demand."

See the guidelines I drew up at:

http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_copyright.htm

It also takes up shed loads of space. It is perfectly possible with the software but I have reservations about several hundred members uploading files to share. I will look into a file sharing facility seperate from the main forum as a short term compromise :)

Guest ChristineS

Someone on another thread asked where the spell-checker was. Is it all right for me to mention a free spell-checker to downloaded which checks the spelling of anything on the screen (except drop downs/pop-ups). It is ieSpell

Of course one downloads these sorts of things at one's own risk. All I can say is that I have been using it for several years now with no problems.

I also wonder if it is possible to have a facility on this forum which would allow us to subscribe to a particular thread and receive an email every time anyone posts on it? I do use the 'view new posts' link every time I log on to see what the hot topics are, but emails can remind one to keep up with topics!

I also wonder if it is possible to have a facility on this forum which would allow us to subscribe to a particular thread and receive an email every time anyone posts on it?  I do use the 'view new posts' link every time I log on to see what the hot topics are, but emails can remind one to keep up with topics!

Thanks for link Christine, I'm sure many of us will find this useful.

On the subscription to topics, look out for this icon usually on the bottom left of the screen:

t_options.gif

Click on it and it allows you to receive email notification, download 'print friendly' versions and other useful things.

This really is brilliant software. :D