The Education Forum

The TV show "Numbers" - Did I hear what I thought I heard?

Dunno if anyone else watches the American TV show "Numbers." I've posted about it before when they had an entire episode about MKUltra, ending with the good guy FBI agent slugging the bad guy agent from the CIA for their ongoing crimes messing with people's heads. Pretty unusual stuff for a big network TV show. But it doesn't appear to be a typical show...

Ok, so a recent episode had this verbal exchange. It had nothing to do with the main plot. It was just a parenthetical interlude.

One of the participants was a new character named... "Oswald." He's a young man, early twenties, thin, with brown hair.

Charlie/Math Professor: "Every organization can be analyzed mathematically and in this case there's the extra added parameter of secrecy."

FBI Agent: "So you could mathematically analyze the JFK assassination?"

Charlie: "Oh sure. Look. JFK conspiracy theories require the cooperation of the CIA, the FBI. That number of people involved, mathematically makes keeping the secret impractical."

Oswald: "Which is why we all know about it."

So, what do you all hear in that exchange?

Do you think it's a coincidence that the new character is named Oswald?

Dunno if anyone else watches the American TV show "Numbers." I've posted about it before when they had an entire episode about MKUltra, ending with the good guy FBI agent slugging the bad guy agent from the CIA for their ongoing crimes messing with people's heads. Pretty unusual stuff for a big network TV show. But it doesn't appear to be a typical show...

Ok, so a recent episode had this verbal exchange. It had nothing to do with the main plot. It was just a parenthetical interlude.

One of the participants was a new character named... "Oswald." He's a young man, early twenties, thin, with brown hair.

Charlie/Math Professor: "Every organization can be analyzed mathematically and in this case there's the extra added parameter of secrecy."

Charlie: "Oh sure. Look. JFK conspiracy theories require the cooperation of the CIA, the FBI. That number of people involved, mathematically makes keeping the secret impractical."

Some screenwriter and TV show producer are having a little fun. They obviously suspect a conspiracy, and wanted to get a little dig in by having the supposed voice of reason say that the size of the conspiracy means it couldn't be kept secret, and have the other guy respond by saying "Well, duh, that's why it's not secret."

A lot of Lone-Nutters get off on talking about how Conspiracy Theorists are irrational and illogical, without realizing their own faith in Oswald's Lone-Nuttedness is irrational and illogical. How else can you explain their insistence that the back wound was above the throat wound, in opposition to ALL the available evidence?

Myra,

Does the name Oswald LeWinter ring a bell?

I assure you, the authors of that dangle didn't just pull those names out of thin air.

The trickster, it seems, has a sense of humor.

All for one, one for all.

Charles

Does the name Oswald LeWinter ring a bell?

I assure you, the authors of that dangle didn't just pull those names out of thin air.

The trickster, it seems, has a sense of humor.

All for one, one for all.

Charles

The name didn't ring a bell Charles. But now that I've looked him up I intend to keep an eye on him.

Interesting. Thanks.

Oh, incidentally the subject of the Numbers episode that mentioned the JFK non-secret was voting fraud using electronic voting machines. The company name was very close to Diebold, don't recall what it was though.

Really good series. Mainstream network, prime time... Most unexpected.

I was impressed with the use of the surname: spooks sufficiently well read to know Dumas.

Of course we could take all of this too far by claiming that a reference to Three Musketeers addresses aspects of the Dealey Plaza mechanics ...

Just foolin' around, My Lady.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago