The Education Forum

New Zealand's War on Terror

Sid Walker

Back to the strange story of "Bernard David Shapiro, 35, a french-horn player, was allegedly found with a cache of weapons, including military-style explosives, on March 29"

News coverage of this story is - at least as far as my internet research can ascertain - a classic demonstration of the western world's "free media" in action.

There are a handful of grumblings on blogs, but a Google News search continues to bring up one story only.

Here' it is in today's Google News Search for "Bernard David Shapiro" at the site Stuff.co.nz:

Symphony musician charged over explosives

Stuff.co.nz, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Bernard David Shapiro, 35, a french-horn player, was allegedly found with a cache of weapons, including military-style explosives, on March 29. ...

At the bottom of that entry, Google tells us:

n order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed.

If you like, you can

I took Google up on this invatation and repeated the search for b]"Bernard David Shapiro"[/b] with omitted results included.

Here's what came up:

Stuff.co.nz, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Bernard David Shapiro, 35, a french-horn player, was allegedly found with a cache of weapons, including military-style explosives, on March 29. ...

Tarankai Daily News, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

The Press West Coast, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

The Southland Times, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Manawatu Standard, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Waikato Times, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

The Timaru Herald, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Northland Independent Community, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

The Nelson Mail, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Auckland stuff.co.nz, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Independent Community Newspaper, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

Marlborough Express, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

The Dominion Post, New Zealand - 11 Apr 2007

The Press, New Zealand - 10 Apr 2007

Stuff.co.nz, New Zealand - 10 Apr 2007

This is a much more effective system of mass media control of public opinion than the USSR model.

In New Zealand and the rest of the English-speaking world - unlike the former USSR - most people still actually believe they have a free media and diversity of opinion.

Incidentally, anyone know if the above newspapers happens to share a common owner?

If so, I wonder who that owner might be? :rolleyes:

Edited by Sid Walker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uuuuuh, you have head of wire services haven't you?

Sure.

This type of multiple repetition of the same story - without any effort by other media to conduct independent, additional reporting - is what I'd call 'hard wiring'.

The December 2001 Fox News 4-part report on the 2000/1 200-strong US Israeli spy-ring followed a similar pattern.

One remarkable, gobsmacking report. Then silence. No follow-up. No new angle. Just like dropping a stone into a deep pond. After a short while, not even a ripple to observe.

The result is that a few people notice the story - folk who look out for that kind of stuff. Most don't notice. Even if shown it first hand, many refuse to believe it's a significant story, because the lack of mass media coverage suggests otherwise.

That applies even in the case of a massive tale such as the 200 Israeli spies arrested in 2000/1.

It is much more applicable in the case of a (presumably) much smaller story, such as Mr Shapiro's New Zealand weapon's cache.

If you know what you're looking for on Google - in this instance "Bernard David Shapiro", you can find it (that is, the same story 15 times).

If you don't, chances are you'll never encounter it.

That's what I call a sophisticated system of information control.

It doesn't rely on blatant censorship or telling unbelievable lies.

It relies on subtle censorship and occasional, much more believable lies, communicated to a rather dummed down populace bemused by the complexities of life in a confusing world and enervated by incessant incitements to consume.

Edited by Sid Walker

Uuuuuh, you have head of wire services haven't you?

Sure.

This type of multiple repetition of the same story - without any effort by other media to conduct independent, additional reporting - is what I'd call 'hard wiring'.

<snip>

It is much more applicable in the case of a (presumably) much smaller story, such as Mr Shapiro's New Zealand weapon's cache.

If you know what you're looking for on Google - in this instance "Bernard David Shapiro", you can find it (that is, the same story 15 times).

If you don't, chances are you'll never encounter it.

That's what I call a sophisticated system of information control.

It doesn't rely on blatant censorship or telling unbelievable lies.

It relies on subtle censorship and occasional, much more believable lies, communicated to a rather dummed down populace bemused by the complexities of life in a confusing world and enervated by incessant incitements to consume.

You’ve failed to establish the story really warranted anymore media attention than if got, without that your argument falls apart

The December 2001 Fox News 4-part report on the 2000/1 200-strong US Israeli spy-ring followed a similar pattern.

One remarkable, gobsmacking report. Then silence. No follow-up. No new angle. Just like dropping a stone into a deep pond. After a short while, not even a ripple to observe.

Perhaps that’s because the story was largely unfounded, we debated it on another thread.

The result is that a few people notice the story - folk who look out for that kind of stuff. Most don't notice. Even if shown it first hand, many refuse to believe it's a significant story, because the lack of mass media coverage suggests otherwise.

That applies even in the case of a massive tale such as the 200 Israeli spies arrested in 2000/1.

Great another anonymously written article from an obscure website that doesn’t cite any sources.

As pointed out ad infinium thousands of foreigners were arrested or detained thousands of foreigners mostly on immigrations charges (expired visas, working with tourist visa etc) including about 200 Israelis, there is no real evidence any of them were spys.

Len

Can we assume Mr Bernard Shapiro (New Zealand) is unrelated to Mr Bernard Shapiro (Canada)?

I have not established a relationship... but as the New Zealand mass media is too busy to look into the case any more, and the police seem too busy also, I trust there's no harm in asking...

Edited by Sid Walker

• 1 month later...

No more news on Mr Bernard Shapiro, as far as I can see.

Perhaps the NZ police still haven't found time to process his case?

Perhaps the NZ media hasn't bothered to report it?

Who knows? Who cares?

That's why it's called the Memory Hole...

No more news on Mr Bernard Shapiro, as far as I can see.

Perhaps the NZ police still haven't found time to process his case?

Perhaps the NZ media hasn't bothered to report it?

Who knows? Who cares?

That's why it's called the Memory Hole...

Could that be because few people besides you think the story especially news worthy?

Len

Can we assume Mr Bernard Shapiro (New Zealand) is unrelated to Mr Bernard Shapiro (Canada)?

I have not established a relationship... but as the New Zealand mass media is to busy to look into the case any more, and the police seem too busy too, I trust there's no harm in asking...

Is there any point to this post other that putting a Jewish person in bad light? If I dug around the Internet hard enough presumably I could find a Sid or Sidney Walker accused of doing something illegal or unethical. Why am I not surprised you quote Ezra Pound?

Len

I have not established a relationship... but as the New Zealand mass media is to busy to look into the case any more, and the police seem too busy too, I trust there's no harm in asking...

Is there any point to this post other that putting a Jewish person in bad light? If I dug around the Internet hard enough presumably I could find a Sid or Sidney Walker accused of doing something illegal or unethical. Why am I not surprised you quote Ezra Pound?

I can understand you taking that view, Len. I am certainly conscious of the possibility that - when engaged in conflicts, debates and controversy - one can become blinded by bias. Indeed, that analysis is central to a lot of my thinking about history. I need to guard against it myself. So do we all.

However, on balance I don't think your criticism is justified, not in this case.

There is, IMO, something fishy about this story and the media coverage of it (or lack thereof).

Is the New Zealand Bernard Shapiro Jewish?

I don't know that... never said it.

The story illustrates, IMO, quite revolting bias in contemporary western society. On the one hand, large numbers of Arabs and Moslems are vilified, framed and denied basic civil liberties - allegedly because of concerns about 'terrorism'.

On the other hand, terrorism suspects who don't fit the 'profile' are treated with kid gloves.

This applies to western government authorities - and to the western mass media.

It sucks.

I think if there was a perceptible let-up in the Zionist assault on the gentile world, there would be an equal and opposite willingness to reconsider whether Zionists should always be the prime suspect in a terror crime or terror scare.

In Australia, we say 'fair go' (not that we're much good at it here, either).

Edited by Sid Walker

Let’s not be too ingenuous it’s not becoming and is damaging to your credibility. Are we really to believe that a worldly Oxbridge graduate expat preoccupied with the global threat posed by “Jewish conspiratorial networks” such as you didn’t know that Shapiro is a Jewish surname (and one of the most common ones at that) when you started this thread? It didn’t at all effect your decision to post the story and raise such a ‘hue and cry’? I was almost willing to believe your claim you didn’t know what “blow me” meant!

There’s no evidence of revolting bias, there’s no evidence Shapiro is a terrorist or was going to use the explosives against people or (other people’s) property.

The “Jewish person” I was referring too was the Canadian Shapiro, bringing him up was completely gratuitous.

“I think if there was a perceptible let-up in the Zionist assault on the gentile world, there would be an equal and opposite willingness to reconsider whether Zionists should always be the prime suspect in a terror crime or terror scare.”

Hmmm! The naïve act is harder to believe after reading this sentence, any evidence that Shapiro was a Zionist? After all you were seemly 'unaware' that he is almost certainly Jewish. Might you not have been so quick to assume he was a terrorist if his name had been Bernard Smith? (The last question was basically rhetorical since you more or less copped to this already).

Your thinking is circular a more accurate statement would had been if you had said "I think if there was a perceptible let-up in my paranoia, there would be an equal and opposite willingness on my part to reconsider my own paranoia.”

Edited by Len Colby

Let’s not be too ingenuous it’s not becoming and is damaging to your credibility. Are we really to believe that a worldly Oxbridge graduate expat preoccupied with the global threat posed by “Jewish conspiratorial networks” such as you didn’t know that Shapiro is a Jewish surname (and one of the most common ones at that) when you started this thread? It didn’t at all effect your decision to post the story and raise such a ‘hue and cry’? I was almost willing to believe your claim you didn’t know what “blow me” meant!

There’s no evidence of revolting bias, there’s no evidence Shapiro is a terrorist or was going to use the explosives against people or (other people’s) property.

The “Jewish person” I was referring too was the Canadian Shapiro, bringing him up was completely gratuitous.

“I think if there was a perceptible let-up in the Zionist assault on the gentile world, there would be an equal and opposite willingness to reconsider whether Zionists should always be the prime suspect in a terror crime or terror scare.”

Hmmm! The naïve act is harder to believe after reading this sentence, any evidence that Shapiro was a Zionist? After all you were seemly 'unaware' that he is almost certainly Jewish. Might you not have been so quick to assume he was a terrorist if his name had been Bernard Smith? (The last question was basically rhetorical since you more or less copped to this already).

Your thinking is circular a more accurate statement would had been if you had said "I think if there was a perceptible let-up in my paranoia, there would be an equal and opposite willingness on my part to reconsider my own paranoia.”

Len

What I know about Mr Shapiro in New Zealand is what I have posted on this thread. Nothing more, nothing less.

AWhat's more, I don't think I would have changed my account if his name had been 'John Smith'.

Yes, I believe there is a systematic bias in western media coverage that might be described as Judeophilic in nature.

But it is also - and more egregiously - Islamophobic, especially since 9-11.

That's the part I can't stomach, Len.

Sure, let's all have a laugh about a joker who gets caught with explosives in his shed? Why not! Probably just boys having fun!

But in that case, let's take the same relaxed approach to all and sundry.

Alternatively, let's scrutinize everyone and every suspicious circumstance.

What I object to is one rule for the Bernards and Johns and another for the Ahmeds and Faisels, After all, we do believe in universal justice and human equality, don't we?

IMO you would be a lot less sanctimonious about this if you were better able to empathize with the millions of Moslems whose lives have been made wretched (if not brought to an abrupt end) as a result of a bogus War on Terror triggered by an obvious false flag operation.

• 1 month later...

Len

What I know about Mr Shapiro in New Zealand is what I have posted on this thread. Nothing more, nothing less.

AWhat's more, I don't think I would have changed my account if his name had been 'John Smith'.

Yes, I believe there is a systematic bias in western media coverage that might be described as Judeophilic in nature.

But it is also - and more egregiously - Islamophobic, especially since 9-11.

Perhaps you could explain the point in bringing up the Canadian Shapiro

That's the part I can't stomach, Len.

[...}

IMO you would be a lot less sanctimonious about this if you were better able to empathize with the millions of Moslems whose lives have been made wretched (if not brought to an abrupt end) as a result of a bogus War on Terror triggered by an obvious false flag operation.

Actually I stated my objections to the Iraq war and Israel's invasions of Gaza and Lebanon. As to 9/11 being "an obvious false flag operation" you and the other "truthers" have failed to produce any reliable evidence to that effect.

As to the incident in Mexico:

Correction & Update on Mexico Arrests

Yesterday, October 13th, Narco News published translations of two articles from the Mexican press about the arrest of two former Israeli military officers in Mexico City. While the translation was accurate, we stated that the information had "not been reported nor refuted by a single U.S. correspondent from wire services or daily newspapers with offices in Mexico."

But according to authentic journalist Ken Layne - www.kenlayne.com - who was, until very recently when he was inexplicably let go from the publication, the best reason to read Online Journalism Review (a web publication of the Annenberg School of Journalism at the University of California), other English-language news organizations did, in fact, publish brief stories after the two Israelis were arrested, and made those stories available to U.S. newspapers.

No news organization likes to issue corrections, but authentic journalism demands corrections, even if errors were innocently made. This is especially true at an hour like this one, when so much of the media is publishing unsubstantiated and soon discredited "official information." We would rather correct our errors at Narco News than try to save face.

Our statement was based on our search of the websites of the English-language news organizations: none of these stories were available to the public on the free websites of the agencies - AP, EFE, AFP, Dow Jones and Notimex - that did cover at least part of this story. But Ken Layne, on his own initiative, utilizing the paid service of Dow Jones, not available gratis to the general public, has learned that the story was at least mentioned by these organizations and was, in fact, made available to English-language newspapers.

Layne writes, "the Dow Jones database shows five English-language wire reports on Oct. 11 (two from EFE News Service, and one each from Dow Jones, AP, and Notimex), one on Oct. 12 (BBC), and one today (Agence France-Presse)."

Narco News thus regrets our error in criticizing "all" news organizations, when these five agencies clearly did offer coverage of the story.

Layne summarizes those wire reports on his web site: "The wire stories say the men work for a Mexican company called Private Security Systems Development; that the company's lawyer says the men (both former members of Israel's military; one a naturalized Mexican citizen) have permits for their pistols; that the men were outside the House of Representatives and on their way to a meeting to try to sell their company's security services... the "nine grenades" was a novelty cigarette lighter; that the "sugar industry" workers were a bunch of farmers having a Sit-In outside the government building; that said sugar farmers were annoyed by the men taking photos of the area, which would be necessary if they were selling private security services to officials who worked there; and that the "bomb" consisted of some cables in a briefcase one of the men carried."

Layne also states that: "The most telling detail in this story comes from a BBC translation of a Notimex report: 'The arrest of the two individuals, one who said he was Mexican and the other Israeli, provoked a huge police mobilization this Wednesday (10 October) at the Congressional headquarters, known as the San Lazaro Palace.'"

http://www.narconews.com/mexicancapitol1.html

The Ken Layne page referred to can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20011103203433/..._07_logarc.html

Edited by Len Colby