The Education Forum

Quick question for Purv

Hey Purv,

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, and apparently has been worked over before, I'm sure. But, in the course of your research, have you ever come across any connection between the two Hunts, to date? A "yes" or "no" would suffice, for now.

I'll check back later, since I'm heading off to work.

Thanks,

Ter

Terry:

Hope that you did not truly expect me to merely answer "Yes" or "No", and then shut up!

In continuation of the "Hunt" family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Mississippi

http://www.llf.lib.ms.us/Winnebago/LLF/Ora...ries/NELMS2.htm

And General Walker was rumored to be coming on campus. General Edwin Walker, a states rights advocate, retired military man, had come on campus and was supposed to be somewhere, no one had seen him but they heard that he was there.

But the basic problem in Oxford that night in my opinion was that we were egged on by General Edwin Walker who said we had a right to do what we were doing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Walker

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Waddy Thorpe Hunt

Title: (Captain)

Sex: M

Birth: 1825 in SC

Death: 1864 in shot & killed nr Little Rock AR after war Occupation: farmer in 1850

Note: Was he born in Haversham Co GA in 1821? Census records say he was born in SC.

Note: Civil War veteran. Confederate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little "common ground" here after all.

One might also want to look into an old movie film which was produced by Sims & Associates of Dallas, TX.

Name of the film was "Oxford, USA" and it was an pro-segregation film which dealt with the integration of Ole Miss.

Funding to produce the film was paid by Lamar Hunt, who ultimately took possession of the film and distributed it through the John Birch Society and other right-wing entities.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom: "One might also want to look into an old movie film which was produced by Sims & Associates of Dallas, TX.

Name of the film was "Oxford, USA" and it was an pro-segregation film which dealt with the integration of Ole Miss.

Funding to produce the film was paid by Lamar Hunt, who ultimately took possession of the film and distributed it through the John Birch Society and other right-wing entities."

Tom, to get the hands on a copy of "Oxford USA" would be a great thing.

Sims made many copies for the MSC.

Interestingly enough they (the MSC) provided it freely to many to use until the mid sixties (when presumably it already had served its purpose) when a prominent JBS member invited to a showing, who 'had been there' or actually knew the truth of the matter, questioned it's truthfulness publicly, and suddenly all requests for it were from then on rejected.

Edited by John Dolva