The Education Forum

Anyone have Life Magazine, July 1962, pages 30-34?

Does anyone have an exchange of letters printed in the July 1962 issue of Life magazine, supposedly pages 30-34, where David Rockefeller and President Kennedy were debating economic policies?

Donald Gibson mentions it in "Battling Wall Street."

(There's one on ebay right now but the seller hasn't told me if it has the material I'm seeking.)

Does anyone have an exchange of letters printed in the July 1962 issue of Life magazine, supposedly pages 30-34, where David Rockefeller and President Kennedy were debating economic policies?

(There's one on ebay right now but the seller hasn't told me if it has the material I'm seeking.)

Myra, if no one does have a copy, then I know I can go to the state library here in Perth, west OZ, and out of the stored stack collection get to view a copy. I imagine many libraries, particularly the main ones everywhere are likely to have the same.

(One sidebar on Rockefeller, which may or may not be relevant is that a number of diverse docs of the time relate to Rockefeller (Compared to, for example, Goldwater) as a non-entity on the National stage.)

Hi, Myra

How much is the seller asking for that issue LIFE Mag. Thanks.

H.J. Dean

Hi, Myra

H.J. Dean

It's at $6.99 opening bid (not met) right now Harry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

I got a reply from the seller (below) but still haven't confirmed it has the Rockefeller/Kennedy letter exchange I'm after.

Q>"Could you please tell me if pages 30-34 have material (an article or letters) related to David Rockefeller

>and President John F. Kennedy?

>Thank you."

A>"HI,There betwin page 30 to 36 is about 4 pages of Kennedy Family with large black and white pictures.

>Tks"

I'll probably follow John's advice and hunt for it at the library.

Hi, Myra

H.J. Dean

I got a reply from the seller (below) but still haven't confirmed it has the Rockefeller/Kennedy letter exchange I'm after.

Q>"Could you please tell me if pages 30-34 have material (an article or letters) related to David Rockefeller

>Thank you."

A>"HI,There betwin page 30 to 36 is about 4 pages of Kennedy Family with large black and white pictures.

>Tks"

A few months back my son-in-law gave me a stack of old mags, included is the one

you seek, as described by seller. Shoot me your address and its yours. No cost.

hjay1212@wmconnect.com

Hi, Myra

H.J. Dean

>Thank you."

>Tks"

NOTICE

Myra

I just ck'd the ebay link you gave, the Canada person's LIFE Mag. is not the one I have

or the one you are looking for..........The Mag. you seek {this one} has an air balloon

picture on it's cover, and has the exact very interesting artical you mention.

H.J. Dean

Hi, Myra

H.J. Dean

>Thank you."

>Tks"

NOTICE

Myra

I just ck'd the ebay link you gave, the Canada person's LIFE Mag. is not the one I have

or the one you are looking for..........The Mag. you seek {this one} has an air balloon

picture on it's cover, and has the exact very interesting artical you mention.

H.J. Dean

Thank you Harry! I'll PM you now.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to share some photos of the Life magazine that Harry was kind enough to send.

For those who read Battling Wall Street, it's really interesting to see the letter exchange, between President Kennedy & David Rockefeller, that Gibson described. Just as Gibson said Rockefeller was pushing--gently at this point--for adherence to the IMF, so rich guys can be loan sharks to poor nations without the gov't interfering and giving loans with humane and reasonable terms. But the subject was just touched on, not emphasized. It was all very general.

Rockefeller was concerned with the price of gold, of course, since his family had the inside knowledge to get out of the stock market in 1929 and put their money into gold (as did Joe Kennedy).

If anyone wants more details let me know.

I'd sure like to see later examples of Rockefeller pushing for his desired economic policies; supposedly he got more heated.

Has anyone seen these later communications?

Ok, here's one where Nelson Rockefeller is much more critical of President Kennedy's economic policies.

It's written just a couple of months after the Life magazine letter exchange with David Rockefeller.

Of course Nelson may still be harboring the delusion that he'll be the Republican running against Kennedy in '64, so it could just

be political sparring, whereas I doubt that's the case with David.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,896929,00.html

The Continued Gold Drain

Friday, Sep. 13, 1963

THE ECONOMY

Last week New York's Governor Nelson Rockefeller hit the Administration smack on the sore spot. In a Labor Day statement, Rockefeller warned that the gold drain could lead to "worldwide financial collapse." It is getting worse because Kennedy's handling of the problem "has been characterized throughout by insufficient recommendations, tardy proposals, watering down of plans already advanced, and lack of firm follow-through." Rockefeller accused Kennedy of "timid tinkering," "temporizing" and "continued drift."

Failure of a Pledge. Dollars are flowing out of the U.S. said Rockefeller, "due to a failure to develop methods to support the economic development and defense of the free world without placing too great a burden on the balance of payments." Investment money is going abroad because of the "failure of the President to redeem his often-repeated 1960 campaign pledge to 'get this country moving again economically," and because U.S. interest rates are lower than some other countries.

Rockefeller offered several recommendations of his own to check the gold drain. He urged "an immediate federal tax cut to raise production efficiency, improving our ability to compete in world markets," coupled with "a clear goal of a balanced cash budget as soon as possible." He would soften the drain caused by foreign aid by making sure that aid "does not simply pour more dollars into nations which already have balance-of-payments surpluses" and by urging "our European allies to assume a larger share of the foreign-aid program."

Edited by Myra Bronstein