The Education Forum

Quiroga and Bringuier

Does anyone have a description or photo of Quiroga circa 1963?

Has an explanation ever been given as to why the WC agreed to allow Bringuier to keep Quiroga's name out of his testimony?

Has anyone ever raised any doubts that Quiroga was indeed the person who visited Oswald on or about August 16, 1963?

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Has an explanation ever been given as to why the WC agreed to allow Bringuier to keep Quiroga's name out of his testimony?

Has anyone ever raised any doubts that Quiroga was indeed the person who visited Oswald on or about August 16, 1963?

Greg: This is all I have. They were published in the Times-Picayune in December 1961, but all I have are 3rd generation photocopies.

Greg: This is all I have. They were published in the Times-Picayune in December 1961, but all I have are 3rd generation photocopies.

Top photo: Sergio Arcacha Smith, Carlos Crusto Quiroga, Manuel Gil

Bottom photo: Carlos Crusto Quiroga, Sergio Arcacha Smith, Dr. Gilbert Mellin, Manuel Gil

Top photo: Sergio Arcacha Smith, Carlos Crusto Quiroga, Manuel Gil

Bottom photo: Carlos Crusto Quiroga, Sergio Arcacha Smith, Dr. Gilbert Mellin, Manuel Gil

Thank you, Stephen. If, as he claimed to the '67 Grand Jury, that he was only 16 in '63, then he was only around 14 when these shots were taken. Interesting company for a 14 year old.

I do have doubts, far from quelled by those pics, that Quirogo was Oswald's visitor.

Thank you, Stephen. If, as he claimed to the '67 Grand Jury, that he was only 16 in '63, then he was only around 14 when these shots were taken. Interesting company for a 14 year old.

I do have doubts, far from quelled by those pics, that Quiroga was Oswald's visitor.

Regarding Q's age, he was born in Havana on January 27, 1936 and, as a boy, he rode on the bus with Carlos Bringuier to Belin Catholic School. He attended Holy Cross High School in New Orleans from 1952-1956, studied pre-engineering at St. Edward's University in Austin TX, then returned to NO and obtained a BA in Electrical Engineering at Louisiana State University in August 1961. Q said his initiation into the anti-Castro movement was when he visited SA Warren deBrueys at the FBI on September 11, 1961. deBrueys referred him to Arcacha, across the street in the Balter Building.

Q was 27 and 1/2 years old when the alleged visit to Oswald occurred.

As to why his name was kept out, Q claimed it was because he worried about his family in Cuba.

As for Q actually visiting Oswald, Rudolph Richard "Ricardo" Davis claimed that he accompanied Q there, but gave conflicitng accounts.

I do have doubts, far from quelled by those pics, that Quiroga was Oswald's visitor.

Regarding Q's age, he was born in Havana on January 27, 1936 and, as a boy, he rode on the bus with Carlos Bringuier to Belin Catholic School. He attended Holy Cross High School in New Orleans from 1952-1956, studied pre-engineering at St. Edward's University in Austin TX, then returned to NO and obtained a BA in Electrical Engineering at Louisiana State University in August 1961. Q said his initiation into the anti-Castro movement was when he visited SA Warren deBrueys at the FBI on September 11, 1961. deBrueys referred him to Arcacha, across the street in the Balter Building.

As to why his name was kept out, Q claimed it was because he worried about his family in Cuba.

As for Q actually visiting Oswald, Rudolph Richard "Ricardo" Davis claimed that he accompanied Q there, but gave conflicitng accounts.

Stephen, why did he lie to Garrison and the GJ about his age?

"I have told Mr Garrison on two occasions that I met Lee Oswald when I was 16 years old, in 1963..."

"This slip Mr Oswald had given me, he and I were alone at his house, I was 16 in 1963..."

If he lied about something as seemingly innocuous as his age under oath, then what other lies did he tell (aside from the lie detector questions he failed)?

Having his correct age does make it easier to accept it was him, even if some of the other descriptors used by witnesses may be a little out.

Stephen, why did he lie to Garrison and the GJ about his age?

"I have told Mr Garrison on two occasions that I met Lee Oswald when I was 16 years old, in 1963..."

"This slip Mr Oswald had given me, he and I were alone at his house, I was 16 in 1963..."

If he lied about something as seemingly innocuous as his age under oath, then what other lies did he tell (aside from the lie detector questions he failed)?

Having his correct age does make it easier to accept it was him, even if some of the other descriptors used by witnesses may be a little out.

Quiroga does seem to be a cagey character. You're right that he made an important alleged contact with Oswald, but always insisted on anonymity. If you haven't seen his HSCA testimony, you probably should. That's what I used for the biographical details.

I'm not sure what to make of Ricardo Davis and his account. He may have just been trying to share a bit of history, and bragged about something he didn't do.

From The Assassinations, edited by DiEugenio and Pease (pp. 235-37):

According to Sam Newman, Quiroga was Sergio Archacha Smith's right hand man and when he went to visit

LHO, DiEugenio asserts he was delivering FPCC leaflets Oswald passed out.

When Garrison gave Q a polygraph, DiEugenio found three answers significant:

1. When Q said he didn't know LHO's FPCC activities were a cover, he was deceptive.

2. When he said he didn't know if Arcacha Smith knew Oswald, he was deceptive.

3. When he was asked if he saw the guns used on 11/22/63 and said no, he was deceptive.

And when Richard Case Nagell told a Garrison interviewer he had a tape with four people

discussing the assasination, mostly in Spanish, he said one of them was "Arcacha" and another

he identified as "Q".

Where is that tape?

• 2 months later...
From The Assassinations, edited by DiEugenio and Pease (pp. 235-37):

According to Sam Newman, Quiroga was Sergio Archacha Smith's right hand man and when he went to visit

LHO, DiEugenio asserts he was delivering FPCC leaflets Oswald passed out.

When Garrison gave Q a polygraph, DiEugenio found three answers significant:

1. When Q said he didn't know LHO's FPCC activities were a cover, he was deceptive.

2. When he said he didn't know if Arcacha Smith knew Oswald, he was deceptive.

3. When he was asked if he saw the guns used on 11/22/63 and said no, he was deceptive.

And when Richard Case Nagell told a Garrison interviewer he had a tape with four people

discussing the assasination, mostly in Spanish, he said one of them was "Arcacha" and another

he identified as "Q".

Where is that tape?

Where is Quiroga today?

BK

• 8 months later...

Here are some slightly better versions of the New Orleans Times-Picayune photos:

post-2377-1206117020_thumb.jpg

Discussing the "Crusade to Free Cuba," a campaign to warn of the menace of the Castro government, are (from left) Sergio Arcacha, Manuel Gil and Carlos Quiroga. The campaign was begun Friday in the Monteleone hotel. (New Orleans Times-Picayune, 2 Dec 1961)

post-2377-1206117045_thumb.jpg

Anti-Castro Cubans meet at International House Friday in connection with the current Crusade to Free Cuba movement. From left are Carlos Quiroga, Sergio Arcacha, delegate to the Cuban Democratic Revolutionary Front here; Dr. Gilbert Mellin and Manuel Gil. (New Orleans Times-Picayune, 10 Dec 1961)

Harold Weisberg, in Never Again (1995), relates the story of how he went to New Orleans and located an important witness from Jones Pringing, who indentified from photo lineup, the man (not Oswald) who picked up FPCC handbills Oswald handed out.

Weisberg gave this info to Garrison, but it disappeared, so he got the witness to repeat his identification before an asst. DA, but the info was never used, Weisberg speculates, because it didn't involve Clay Shaw.

In publishing this info in 1995 however, Weisberg neglects to mention exactly who this witness was or the subject he identified as the person who picked up the FPCC handbills.

While I have no idea who Weisberg's Jones Printing witness is, I suspect the person identified as the original recipient of the handbills from the printer was Quiroga, who was subsequently seen by a neighbor (and landlord) delivering a thick stack of handbills to Oswald's Magazine Street apartment.

It would be nice to identify the Jones Printing Company witness and the suspect who picked up the handbills.

BK

Bill,

Harold took a bunch pictures of Garrison subjects down to the print shop and showed them to the Jones and Myra Silver. They picked out 4 pic's of Kerry Thornley as looking most like the person who picked up the order.

Weisberg told us he was reluctant to name Thornley, as he had doubts about his guilt after talking to David Lifton.

-Bill O

Bill,

Harold took a bunch pictures of Garrison subjects down to the print shop and showed them to the Jones and Myra Silver. They picked out 4 pic's of Kerry Thornley as looking most like the person who picked up the order.

Weisberg told us he was reluctant to name Thornley, as he had doubts about his guilt after talking to David Lifton.

-Bill O

Thanks,

Thornley was there, and was sitting with Oswald in a French Quarter joint by a women who joined them at the table, and she described some of their conversation. When confronted with this years later, Thornley said he might have been sitting with Oswald talking, but he didn't recognize him as a guy he served with in USMC, which is hard to swallow.

Harold had doubts of Thornley's guilt of what? That he knew LHO in USMC and New Orleans in summer of '63, or guilt of being part of a conspiracy? Or that he doubts the veracity of Jones people that it actually was Thornley?

Harold was quick to judge and hard to change his mind.

If it was Thornley, then did the leaflets go from Thornley to Quiroga to Oswald?

Maybe David Lifton can shed some light on this. Since I can't wait for his book to come out maybe we can nudge him to answer.

Also, no one has answered my question as to the present whereabouts of Quiroga. Does anybody know if he is still alive and living in New Orleans or elsewhere?

And Bill, did I tell you before that I knew another Bill O'Neil, a red head guitarist for the Temptations?

BK

Bill,

-Bill O

Thanks,

Thornley was there, and was sitting with Oswald in a French Quarter joint by a women who joined them at the table, and she described some of their conversation. When confronted with this years later, Thornley said he might have been sitting with Oswald talking, but he didn't recognize him as a guy he served with in USMC, which is hard to swallow.

Harold had doubts of Thornley's guilt of what? That he knew LHO in USMC and New Orleans in summer of '63, or guilt of being part of a conspiracy? Or that he doubts the veracity of Jones people that it actually was Thornley?

Harold was quick to judge and hard to change his mind.

If it was Thornley, then did the leaflets go from Thornley to Quiroga to Oswald?

Maybe David Lifton can shed some light on this. Since I can't wait for his book to come out maybe we can nudge him to answer.

Also, no one has answered my question as to the present whereabouts of Quiroga. Does anybody know if he is still alive and living in New Orleans or elsewhere?

And Bill, did I tell you before that I knew another Bill O'Neil, a red head guitarist for the Temptations?

BK

Weisberg said he was no longer sure, that Thornley was in NO's at the same time as Os. Or, that he had ever impersonated Os. yet he was puzzled about the ID of Jones and Silva, which he later re-confirmed after doubts were raised. I think he may have filmed or taped that 2nd interview, to show Garrison.... my mind is a little vague on that.

Well , I play guitar but, no red hair!

-Bill

Here are some slightly better versions of the New Orleans Times-Picayune photos:

post-2377-1206117020_thumb.jpg

Discussing the "Crusade to Free Cuba," a campaign to warn of the menace of the Castro government, are (from left) Sergio Arcacha, Manuel Gil and Carlos Quiroga. The campaign was begun Friday in the Monteleone hotel. (New Orleans Times-Picayune, 2 Dec 1961)

post-2377-1206117045_thumb.jpg

Anti-Castro Cubans meet at International House Friday in connection with the current Crusade to Free Cuba movement. From left are Carlos Quiroga, Sergio Arcacha, delegate to the Cuban Democratic Revolutionary Front here; Dr. Gilbert Mellin and Manuel Gil. (New Orleans Times-Picayune, 10 Dec 1961)

Roger:

I just noticed the upgrades you posted. Thank you! These are MORE than "slightly better" than the crappy photostats I had!

Quiroga was really an inscrutible character in all this. He was talking to the authorities immediately after the assassination, but they always seemed to protect his identity. Even now, he seems to have never been contacted by anybody (outside of NODA and HSCA.)