The Education Forum

Help finding some documents?

Could someone help me find these?

FBI 105-82555 Oswald HQ File, Section 114 page 37

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=58943#relPageId=37&tab=page

Marina Oswald was interviewed by FBI Special Agents Richard L. Wiehl and Wallace Heitman on March 19, 1964 She was shown over 400 photographs and asked to identify them. On page 41 of that Section 114, it says that Marina was shown three photographs of baby June Oswald on a balcony of the apartment on Neely St. The are identified as Item#'s:

B3-13

B3-17

B3-29

(1) Does anyone know how to find these?

These are cross referenced to DL-100-10461

I believe that these are the Dallas FBI files.

(2) Are the Dallas FBI files DL-100-10461 available on the Mary Ferrell Foundation web site? I can't seem to find them. Can someone tell me?

The reason I ask is that on three separate occasions that I have found, Marina says that the Oswalds were living on Neely Street in January, 1963.

(1) Warren Commission testimony of Marina Oswald February 3, 1964,

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/oswald_m1.htm

Mr. RANKIN. When did you move to Neely Street from the Elsbeth Street apartment?
Mrs. OSWALD. In January after the new year. I don't remember exactly.

Mr. RANKIN. Do you recall the first time that you observed the rifle?
Mrs. OSWALD. That was on Neely Street. I think that was in February.

Mr. RANKIN. Do you recall the day that you took the picture of him with the rifle and the pistol?
Mrs. OSWALD. I think that that was towards the end of February, possibly the beginning of March. I can't say exactly. Because I didn't attach any significance to it at the time. That was the only time I took any pictures.

(2) During her testimony on February 4th, Marina was asked and answered:

Mr. RANKIN. Can you tell us approximately when you first met Ruth Paine?
Mrs. OSWALD. Soon after New Years I think it was in January.
Mr. RANKIN. Would that be 1963?
Mrs. OSWALD. Yes.

Mr. RANKIN. Did Mrs. Paine ever visit you at Elsbeth Street?
Mrs. OSWALD. At Neely, on Neely Street.
Mr. RANKIN. But not at Elsbeth?
Mrs. OSWALD. We moved soon after that acquaintance.

She said that she met Ruth Paine at a party at the Glovers' house.

For her part, Ruth Paine told the Warren Commission that she first met Marina at a party at the Glovers' on February 22nd,

(3) Warren Commission Hearings, Volume XXIICurrent Section: CE 1156 - FBI report dated February 18, 1964, of interview of Marina Oswald, Dallas, Tex. (CD 735, pp. 439-445).

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=227

This is cross referenced to DL 100-10461 (4)

On February 17, 1964 Marina was interviewed by FBI Special Agents Anatole Boguslav and Wallace Heitman. In their writeup of that interview done on the 18th, they wrote:

“She said further that in the beginning of January, 1963 at the Neely Street address, he, (Lee Harvey Oswald) was cleaning his rifle and he said he had been practicing that day.”

(page 443 of CD 735).

For whatever reason, conflicts with the official record as we know it.. Supposedly the Oswalds moved from Elsbeth to Neely on March 3rd and according to the postal money order, the rifle wasn't ordered until March 12th.

CE 1404 - FBI reports dated February 22 and 25, 1964, of interviews with Marina Oswald (CD 735, pp. 446-453).

On February 18, 1964 she was again interviewed by Agents Boguslav and Heitman. She told the FBI that she was mistaken about the date, and that the rifle cleaning incident had taken place in March, 1963. The Agents wrote a Report of this interview on February 22, 1964.

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=815

(This is on page 446 of CD 735)

What I would like to do is look at the pictures of June on the balcony and see if they show the same climatic conditions as seen in the back yard photos. The Oswald were only supposed to have lived on Neely Street for the two months of March and April. In the BYP, Oswald is in a tee shirt. Do the photos of June show snow on the ground?

Steve Thomas

PS: I'm going to have to get used to this new Forum formatting.

PPS: I guess I need to apologize to people. I didn't realize that this Forum had a messaging capability. I just found out I've had messages that go back at least 8 years. I didn't know it.

Hi Steve:

If you go to the Weisberg collection at Hood College and put DL 100 10461 into the search engine it will bring up the entire file for you. I just did this quickly from work so have not had a chance to peruse this but I am sure you can narrow your search. Actually the Weisberg collection is the best source for the entire Dallas file on the assassination.

Gary Murr

As a follow up for you Steve; follow the link below. When this main page opens, click on the "Browse Archives" link; when it opens, click on the first entry, "Collections" then when this opens click on the "FBI Records" link [not the FBI Records Files link]. In this FBI Records section you will find all of the FBI files collected by Harold, including the DL 100 10461 file as well as the "105" files. What I have found in the past is that in perusing some of these files, the majority of which were accumulated by Harold via the FOIA lawsuit process, that there are redactions which you do not find in later archival holdings, such as Mary Ferrell. However, as indicated earlier, you can access all of the Dallas FBI FO files here and they are, in my opinion, invaluable.

Link:  http://jfk.hood.edu/

Gary

1 hour ago, Gary Murr said:

As a follow up for you Steve; follow the link below. When this main page opens, click on the "Browse Archives" link; when it opens, click on the first entry, "Collections" then when this opens click on the "FBI Records" link [not the FBI Records Files link]. In this FBI Records section you will find all of the FBI files collected by Harold, including the DL 100 10461 file as well as the "105" files. What I have found in the past is that in perusing some of these files, the majority of which were accumulated by Harold via the FOIA lawsuit process, that there are redactions which you do not find in later archival holdings, such as Mary Ferrell. However, as indicated earlier, you can access all of the Dallas FBI FO files here and they are, in my opinion, invaluable.

Link:  http://jfk.hood.edu/

Gary

Gary,

Thank you. I'll have to poke around. Still haven't found those June Oswald images yet.

Steve Thomas

No problem, Steve; a couple more links for you to follow regarding these items. The first seems to parallel info in your original post [see p. 4 & 5 of this document]. I suspect this may be from one of the massive report compilations put together by Robert Gemberling. In  the second link, check out the entry at the bottom of p. 6 of this link. It would appear that there were possibly 28 35mm negatives given this "B3" designation by the FBI. If so, the negatives should be at NARA. I have other research aids at home which might be of use and I will check them out later for you.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/N Disk/National Enquirer FBI Records From 1-8-78 Releases/Item 54.pdf

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/I Disk/Indices About Indications Of/Item 02.pdf

You will have to copy and paste these links into your browser to get them to open.

Gary

And another link, this one the original documentation from the second link I sent you in my previous e-mail. The source is file 100-10461-6597, a memorandum dated June 10, 1964, direct to Dallas FO SAC, Gordon Shanklin [who "is" 100-10461]

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/B Disk/Bullet CE-399/Item 03.pdf

Again, copy and paste into your browser to read.

42 minutes ago, Gary Murr said:

Gary,

I believe that the the last paragraph on page 14 definitely refers to the photos shown to Marina on March 19th. I just wonder where the photos themselves are.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Gary Murr said:

Steve:

As I indicated earlier, I have some file finding aids at home that may be of use in this regard. I will try to reference them this evening and get back to you if I find anything.

Gary

Gary,

Thank you for your help in this. I was poking around these FBI files (right off hand I can't remember which one), and it said that after Marina identified the pictures in this large batch of photos, some would be returned to the Warren Commission (like the photos of Lee as a Marine, etc.), and the others would be put in the National Archives.

I suspect that that is where these Neely Street baby pictures are.

Steve Thomas

On 11/3/2016 at 5:55 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Could someone help me find these?

FBI 105-82555 Oswald HQ File, Section 114 page 37

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=58943#relPageId=37&tab=page

Marina Oswald was interviewed by FBI Special Agents Richard L. Wiehl and Wallace Heitman on March 19, 1964 She was shown over 400 photographs and asked to identify them. On page 41 of that Section 114, it says that Marina was shown three photographs of baby June Oswald on a balcony of the apartment on Neely St. The are identified as Item#'s:

B3-13

B3-17

B3-29

A kind-hearted person told me that these can be found in the CIA's Oswald 201 file.

PHOTOS (448) DISPLAYED TO MARINA OSWALD FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES ON

Oswald 201 File (201-289248)/ Oswald 201 File, Vol 32/ pages 58, 62, and 74

Nope. No snow. Oh well, it was a thought.

Steve Thomas