The Education Forum

What does JFK's autopsy neck x-ray reveal regarding fragments or damage?

Sandy Larsen

The first thing to determine is whether or not the extant neck x-ray(s) are genuine.

Here's what I've found in this forum so far:

• Cliff Varnell stating that the extant x-ray has been declared genuine by Dr. Mantik. Also stating that the x-ray shows an "air pocket" at C7/T1.
  • Robert Prudhomme stating that Jerrol Custer remembered the x-ray showing several fragments in the vicinity of cervical vertebrae C3/C4. Also noting that Custer therefore thought the extant x-ray to be inauthentic.
  • Pat Speer stating that Custer was looking at HSCA cropped and enhanced versions of the x-rays, and it was those he said he didn't recognize. However, when shown the originals by the ARRB, Custer acknowledged them as x-rays he'd taken. (In the post I saw, Pat Speer doesn't dispute that Custer remembered fragments at C3/C4.)
  • Someone (Cliff Varnell?) stating that the extant x-ray is described as having a couple of "metallic-like" particles in the neck area and are considered by an HSCA expert witness to be artifacts, even though they have "metallic-like" densities. (Could these be the fragments near C3/C4 that Custer remembers??)

(Note that some of the above may be dated. My apologies if I mischaracterized any of it.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Information gained in this thread could help solve the neck wound mystery.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing to determine is whether or not the extant neck x-ray(s) are genuine.

• Cliff Varnell stating that the extant x-ray has been declared genuine by Dr. Mantik. Also stating that the x-ray shows an "air pocket" at C7/T1.
  • Robert Prudhomme stating that Jerrol Custer remembered the x-ray showing several fragments in the vicinity of cervical vertebrae C3/C4. Also noting that Custer therefore thought the extant x-ray to be inauthentic.
  • Pat Speer stating that Custer was looking at HSCA cropped and enhanced versions of the x-rays, and it was those he said he didn't recognize. However, when shown the originals by the ARRB, Custer acknowledged them as x-rays he'd taken. (In the post I saw, Pat Speer doesn't dispute that Custer remembered fragments at C3/C4.)
  • Someone (Cliff Varnell?) stating that the extant x-ray is described as having a couple of "metallic-like" particles in the neck area and are considered by an HSCA expert witness to be artifacts, even though they have "metallic-like" densities. (Could these be the fragments near C3/C4 that Custer remembers??)

(Note that some of the above may be dated. My apologies if I mischaracterized any of it.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Information gained in this thread could help solve the neck wound mystery.

Sandy, I'm not an expert in this area but I'll offer two observations, and appreciate if anyone can correct me. We have a thoracic X-ray which appears to show the last three cervical vertebrae, C5-C7. I do not believe we have an X-Ray which shows the first four cervical vertebrae: C1-C4. Given that the purpose of the X-rays was to find the bullets, it may be that a high neck X-ray was taken but later disappeared.

Cyril Wecht examined the autopsy photos and X-rays at the National Archives and wrote a paper on his observations and conclusions. In the paper he mentions that in the AP skull X-ray there is a small particle that can be seen near the bottom right side of JFK's chin, which he supposes may be related to the back wound.

Edited by Ollie Curme

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2016 at 4:02 PM, Ollie Curme said:
On 2/10/2016 at 2:46 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

Sandy, I'm not an expert in this area but I'll offer two observations, and appreciate if anyone can correct me. We have a thoracic X-ray which appears to show the last three cervical vertebrae, C5-C7. I do not believe we have an X-Ray which shows the first four cervical vertebrae: C1-C4. Given that the purpose of the X-rays was to find the bullets, it may be that a high neck X-ray was taken but later disappeared.

Cyril Wecht examined the autopsy photos and X-rays at the National Archives and wrote a paper on his observations and conclusions. In the paper he mentions that in the AP skull X-ray there is a small particle that can be seen near the bottom right side of JFK's chin, which he supposes may be related to the back wound.

(I didn't see this post till now.)

Thanks Ollie.

The chin is roughly at the level of C3/C4 spine. So what Wecht wrote supports what Jerrol Custer said, that there were bullet fragments in that area.